MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-14-2004, 11:30 AM
Enthusiast

Using Mosaic pins

ok I did a search for what I wanted but did not come up with exactly what I was looking for. What I am curious about is when you use a mosaic pin in 1/4" for handle pins....do you drill a 1/4" hole to insert them and tap them trhough?? or you you go up to the size F drill bit in order to not force it though the wood and possibly crack the handle material. I am aware that a 1/4" hole is .250 and usually a .250 rod will not fit through a .250 hole without the use of some force. The size F drill bit is .270 and .03 bigger seems like it would leave too much of a noticable gap. would the answer be just to taper the pin a bit on the end before tapping it through?

Am I wrong in this assumption ?

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 03-14-2004, 12:26 PM
Living Legend

I use a 1/4" bit. However, I sand the outside of the 1/4" mosiac pins by hand. This makes them a touch smaller and leaves scratches around the outside of the pin. File a small ring around the pin in the center. The pin fits through with a tap of a small hammer and the sanding scratches help hold the pin in. The ring allows for more epoxy to help hold the pin.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 03-14-2004, 12:55 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A size F drill is .257 which is .007 over a 1/4 drill, which leaves a .0035 gap. A gap that size isn't hard to fill with good epoxy.

Why not just try Bob's method and try an F drill, then make up your own mind. You don't have to use an expensive mosaic pin on a real knife. Use a 1/4 rod, a piece if mild steel for the 'tang', and some scrap wood.......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-14-2004, 01:25 PM
Enthusiast

bah I mistyped in my post...yes it is .07 over not .03.....Thanks for the info guys I'll try both!

"A good friend is someone you can call to bail you out of jail. A TRUE friend would be sitting next to you saying how did we get into this
s#$%!!"
Old 03-14-2004, 03:26 PM
Master

I do as Bob says with one addition. My 1/4" holes are reemed before the mosaic pin goes through. I find that this keeps me from having to sand the pin. And a notch towards the center is always a good idea for the epoxy to hold onto. Thant's been my experience so far.

Chris
Old 03-15-2004, 09:46 AM
Enthusiast

I use an inexpensive hand pipe cutter tool from Sears ( @$5.00) and run rings around the pin for the epoxy to adhere to.

Old 03-15-2004, 03:11 PM
Skilled

I'm with Bob. That's exactly what I do, except the hand part. I put the pin in a drill. Run the drill and pinch the paper while it spins.

Guess I'm just lazy.

Steve

Tags
knife