MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Salts are corrosive and air is also but to a lesser degree. Wrapping in foil keeps most of the air away so little oxidation can occur. For most of us, some cleanup and grinding is necessary after heat treating a stainless blade in an oven but much less than you might expect with salts..

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-13-2009, 10:48 PM
Master

No the chrome cannot come out of the steel because you are creating a carbon berrier next to the surface. I have never had a blade that I have Heat Treated rust for any of my customers, one of them is my brother-in-law who is a Fishing guide in southern Oregon and nothern Calif.. Another customer is a Hunting Guide for one of the TV shows. Only thing that needs to be done with stainless steels after HT in this manner is to do the finish grind which will take any decarb off of the blade surcface which as I stated earlier is minimal, most come out of the foil just a dull gray. I normally start the finish grind with a worn belt of the grit that I finished the blade with prior to HT. as far as getting a HT Oven it will ne the best thing that you can do for making sure that your blades are the best that they can be. Ince that you get one try to get a copy of the Orange HT book from Crucible Steel, there is a great deal of info in it. Also, once that you get one if you need ansewers contace me, If I do not have the answer to a HT question I will either find out, or point you in the right direction.
Curtis

Old 07-14-2009, 08:43 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the advice you guys! I am so impressed by everyones willingness to help and advise. Curtis, at some point in the future, I plan to take you up on your offer.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:16 PM
Skilled

OK, I'm back....
So if I understand everyones reponses to my foil/paper question: I can/or not use a paper towel, that may be more of a finish issue than an oxygen issue, and a "perfect seal" is not absolutely required for best results, right?

I think I'll stick with the paper but not be so anal about my sealing.....

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 07-24-2009, 07:59 AM
Skilled

Dennis,

It's my opinion that putting a piece of paper, whether it's the size of a penny or a whole paper towel, inside your foil baggie will cause more problems that it's worth. Every time I tried this the bag would swell as the paper burned and I even had a couple of seams open up. I make the bag fit the knife somewhat close and give it good tight seams. I double fold the foil around the three sides and crease them to make them tight. If I've made my seams properly I get no scaling and a light gray color. If you're having to put something inside to burn the excess oxygen your bag is too big.

Making an envelope from foil that keeps the outside air out really is a simple process. And while the numbers are very important, the entire heat treating process itself is pretty simple. Don't make it complicated.

David

Old 07-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Skilled

Thank David, since I have always used a paper towel insert, I think I will try one without and see what it does for me. I was under the impression before that it was a neccesity, but I'm seeing that it is merely an option. One can easily "squeeze" much of the air/air apace out of the package, and if that is good enough, then so be it. I have to admit the baloon packages are hard to deal with. And I do get a little "blackening" from the paper I think.

What I'm taking from this is try both ways and see what works best for me.....I was afraid to do that before.

Thanks again gentlemen!

"..good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from poor judgement.." -Gary McMahan, a cowboy poet and good dancer.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...24112090995576
Old 07-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Skilled

Happy to help, Dennis. Many years ago I was also under the impression that you absolutely had to have something combustible inside the bag to burn off the oxygen. I'd put pieces of paper towels, newspaper, and any other piece of paper I had in the ship inside with the blade. Twenty years ago I smoked, and I even put cigarette butts inside until I picked one up that I'd put out by dipping in my water bucket. These days I do without and don't have ruptured bags or scaled blades.

David

Tags
blade, knife, knives