MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Old 10-30-2004, 08:29 AM

Chromium V Chromium-Carbide

First post, so now a quick introduction.

HI, My name is Tim. I'm hopeing to start making knives soon, but still in the proces of creating a space to do so. In the mean time I'm trying to learn all that I can.

I've been trying to puzzle this one out on my own for while now, and I've given up (on grounds that I don't know nearly enough).

I've seen the distinction made between chromium that is free for stain resistence, and that which is taken up in carbide form; my question is what is the difference. Is the amount of carbon in the steel a factor, i.e., the more carbon, the more of the chromium taken up in carbides; or is there some other factor involved.

Now a quick side question.

Do all steels transform to a non-magnetic state at the same temp, or dose this trasformation nesasarily coinside with that steels critical temp.

I thank you fro your time, and look forward to your replys.
T.M.Sanders
Old 10-30-2004, 10:30 AM
Master

The Curie temperature[when it becomes nonmagnetic] for steel is 1414F, independent of critical temperature...The original definition for stainless steel was a steel with at least 12% chromium which gave it it's "stainless " properties. However if we add carbon we tie up chromium as chromium carbides. So if we add carbon of about 1% we need extra chromium , ~14-16% to maintain the 'stainless' properties. No exact numbers since other alloying elements [carbide formers] play a part....Welcome to the forum.

Tags
knives