MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-22-2006, 04:47 PM

Is there a Hockey Fan in the house?

Hi all!

Now that the real season has started, are there any hockey fans out there?

I'm a Montreal Canadiens fan to the core. Tonight they face off against the Carolina #####cats, oops I mean Hurricanes. Go Habs Go!

Onward to the Stanley Cup. http://www.habs.com/

Cheers!

David

Old 04-23-2006, 08:46 AM

Woo Hoo!

Habs win the first game in Raleigh 6 to 1.

Can't wait till Monday, when they do it all over again.

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 04-23-2006, 10:13 AM
Steel Addict

David

There aren't many puck fans out there, are there. I am an Islander fan, but their season usually ends early.

I am not a big NHL fan, more a Junior hockey, Memorial Cup fan. But back to the NHL, I am cheering for Calgary and/or San Jose.

Rod
Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 PM

Hi Rod!

Quote:
There aren't many puck fans out there...
This seems like an accurate assessment so far, but who knows? Perhaps playoff fever might infect some of those who become bored with baseball (snore) or basketball (snore some more).

I don't follow the regular NHL season, but les series eliminatoires, that's another story as long as my beloved Canadiens are still in them.

Hello out there hockey fans across the continent. This your chance to sound off...

Hello... hello... "Is there anybody out there?"

Cheers!

Moosehead

Old 04-23-2006, 03:12 PM
Steel Addict

David,
Hockey? Is that I game? I have heard some people use the term "horse hockey" or "bull hockey" but everyone knew what they meant!!!!

Seriously, I am not a hockey fan however, believe it or not, hockey is pretty popular here in North Alabama. The University of Alabama, Huntsville branch has a hockey team and has several scholarship players from Canada. Some of their regular opponents are:
Ohio State, The US Air Force Academy and Princeton.

Huntsville also has a professional hockey team that plays in the US Southern Professional Hockey League. Of course not the caliber of the NHL, but I'll bet you never thought about professional or NCAA hockey in the deep south!!!!

Wayne

Old 04-23-2006, 03:37 PM

Hi Wayne!

I'm not surprised that there is a fair amount of interest in the game of ICE hockey in the deep south. After all, it's a great way for folks to cool off, n'est pas?

Seriously, I think it's one of the most exciting exciting games, especially if the fighting would be kept to a minimum, or even eliminated altogether. Also there are way too many NHL teams. THIRTY is just ridiculous!

Down your way, you've got the Atlanta Thrashers, the Carolina Hurricanes, the Florida Panthers and the Tampa Bay Lightning, and I suppose the Washington Capitals could be considered a southern team.

However, I'm pretty sure that hockey is not all that popular down there. It's got a long way to go, and last year's lockout sure didn't help.

Cheers!

David

Old 04-24-2006, 05:57 PM

Yikes!

I forgot to mention the Dallas Stars and the Nashville Predators!!!

Please forgive me all you puck fiends out there.

Well. it's almost game time for my beloved Habs...

See you tomorrow!

Moosehead

Old 04-24-2006, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

The Panthers are near by and local interest ebbs and flows with the victories. Last year didn't help either.

The bandwagon phenomenon in south Florida isn't limited to hockey, though. It even happens with the sainted Miami Dolphins. Might have something to do with transplants (and their home town loyalty) and great weather distracting people from important things like sports (except on hurricane days).

So, Moose, how does "Montreal Canadiens" = "Habs"?
Old 04-24-2006, 08:43 PM
Steel Addict

Moose,

That would be THE WORLD CHAMPION TAMPA BAY LIGHTNING!!!

Although I'm a... Yeah you guessed it, a Boston Bruin fan, I really haven't followed the game since they traded Ray Bourque.

Plus, I hate those %$#@ Yankees... I mean Yankees of the NHL the Montreal Canadians, Or would that be the "HAB-NOTS!!!????

---DW---
Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 AM

Well folks, it looks like we hooked a couple of nibbles here.

Hi Azgator! You're quite right about the bandwagon effect and the mostly great Florida weather. I doubt that hockey will ever become that popular in the Sunshine state.

The terms "Habs" is short for the French "habitants", who were the early common settlers of New France. During the period 1924 to 1937 Montreal had two NHL teams. The Montreal Maroons (winners of two Stanley Cups) were supposedly the English community's answer to Les Canadiens which had many French Canadians players. Thus the term "Habs" came about.

Hi Dirty Water!

I stand corrected. Yes the team from Tampa Bay did win the Cup in 2004, but where are the Lightning today? They finished 8th over all with a winning percentage of 52%. If they get by the Ottawa Senators in the first round it will be a miracle.

Since you are a Bruins fan, I feel your pain. It must be difficult to accept the fact the the team has not sipped from the Cup since 1972, and I'm sure the Canadiens Cup victory the previous year still sticks in your craw. But enough, I will never gloat. and so will not mention the Bruins failure to make the playoffs this year and their less than mediocre record of 29 wins out of 82 games.

I will say that I always admired three Bruin players including Raymond Bourque. I liked the Phil Esposito, and Bobby Orr was one of the greatest players of all time, and just a joy to watch.

By the way, since the Canadiens have only won two championships in 27 years, do they still qualify as being the "Yankees" of the NHL?

Now back to last night's game... WOO HOO! The Habs hang on despite taking many stupid penalties to beat the 'Canes in the second overtime period, and take a 2-0 lead in this best of seven series.

I can't wait until Wednesday when they play in front of 20,000 rabid home town fans.

Cheers!

Moosehead

P. S. I won't mention that the Habs are a mediocre team, who will be lucky to make it to the next round. Oops! Did I say that?

SURPRISE Turn up the volume!

Old 04-25-2006, 09:55 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
Hockey? Is that the game played with members of the Ice Capades where all but three teams make the playoffs?

Will Dorothy Hamill be there?

gary

- Ronald Reagan
Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 AM

Hi Gary!

Be careful when you make fun of our national sport, and please differentiate between professional and amateur hockey.

As far as I know every professional "sport" is made up of too many teams, with too many making the playoffs; and too many overpaid players, greedy owners, and boorish fans.

However, I'm betting that you have never laced on a pair of ice skates, and soared out onto an outdoor rink with the cold, fresh air filling your lungs as you stride down the ice, stick in hand chasing that small rubber disk, so you can pass it to a teamate who fires it passed a bewildered opposing net minder. There's no other feeling like it! If you have, and didn't like it, I apologize.

Cheers!

Moosehead

P.S. Dorothy who?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:03 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Raindog
OK, I'm sorry, my Canadian friend. I didn't mean to offend. I have this running "feud" going on with two of my work partners that are rabid hockey fans and they make fun of my slight baseball addiction. I just kinda carried the same tone over to your hockey comment. Really, it was meant in jest.

I took a high stick to the right eye at 11 years old that I have still never recovered from. It ain't a sport for sissies! And I used to watch the Charlotte Checkers play way back in the 70s. Does all this redeem me?

gary

- Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Raindog; 04-26-2006 at 07:07 AM.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:39 AM

Hi Gary!

Absolutely no offence was taken. I knew that you were just joshing, so no redemption is necessary.

Most Canadians take their hockey very seriously, since the only other sport in which we really excel is curling.

I'm sorry to hear about your eye injury. Today all kids playing in organized leagues have to wear much better protective gear. I don't think visors are obligatory but they should be.

I used to play in pickup games on outdoor rinks, but never was involved with any league team. Luckily the only injury I ever suffered was a split lip from a wayward stick.

I'm delighted to hear that some of your colleagues have taken to the game.

The "Charlotte Checkers"! Now that's a name for a hockey team!

Cheers!

David

P.S. DW, did you notice the Lightning got bombed last night?

Old 04-26-2006, 01:29 PM
Enthusiast

Since I am a New Yorker, ( I will catch some flack for that I'm sure!) my beloved Rangers are tanking pretty bad against the Devils. The hottest team coming into the playoffs mind you! Loosing Jagr hasn't helped either! At least they made the playoffs this year. It was a long drought before this! They need a victory or it is over for them.
The games have definitely been more exciting this season. The changes were a good thing, best year for hockey in attendance since the late 90's. We used to be on the ice everyday after school in the winter. We played pond hockey, no rink! Every winter until I was in my early twenties. We had some great games, wish I was 18 again! Thanks Moose for bringing back the old memories!

Chris
RKS 5186
Mike 187

Tags
blade, knife, switchblade