MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-26-2012, 08:19 AM

Need information

Hi, Gang

Can anybody gave me a information-tip....

What kind of steel is used on: VW-bug torsion springs ?

AISI or DIN standard.

Thank You all for useful info.
Old 05-26-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
That's going to be a BIG unknown. The problem with trying to use recycled steel over the past couple of decades or so has been: industry no longer sets a standard of the specific type of steel that is used in a given application. It's all about saving money in the manufacturing process(es)....to that end engineers these days now specify the specifications that a given part must meet...such as use cycles, weight to support, pressure exertion, etc. and whatever meets those specs, AND IS THE LEAST EXPENSIVE, is what the manufacture purchases. What that means is that materials (steel types) for specific parts can, and often do vary from shipment to shipment.

This is one of the biggest reasons that most of use are always encouraging others to purchase new, know steel, and avoid "recycled" materials. If you choose to use recycled materials, be prepared to spend a great deal of time and effort to figure out how to use/treat it....and be prepared to do the same thing with each successive "batch" of that material you acquire....because what you had the last time, very likely will not be what you get next time, even though the "item" is the same.

Of course I can't speak for everyone, but for me personally, I simply cannot afford to spend the time/effort "reinventing the wheel" every time I get my hands on a "new" batch of material (steel). I'm always time and money ahead if I just purchase new, known steel, from a trusted supplier to begin with.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 05-26-2012 at 02:16 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:37 PM
Hall of Famer

Not much to add to what Ed said except that one of the problems with old springs is that often have stress fractures in them that can ruin a blade. You can pretty much count on springs having enough carbon to harden adequately for a knife blade but it's still mystery metal. You will not be able to estimate performance characteristics based on alloy. Far better to start off with a known steel.

Doug

Old 05-27-2012, 01:42 AM

Uhhhh, that is what l was scared a bit.

But l will try, it must be somewhere in between 5160, 6150, 9260, 1060, 1070, 1075.....

Yes it is lot of standards but....

Well, i the meed time i received 1000 mm x 43mm x 7 mm of AISI 6150.

C-0,51 Si- 0,04 Mn- 0.9 Cr- 1.05 V-0.18

Would You be a so kind to provide me some information about using this steel for blades.

It hase less carbon than 5160, but added Vanadium (0.18%).

Thank you very much for Your time, helpful information an useful tips.

Regards, Boris.

Tags
art, blade, choose, how to, knife, materials, steel, tips