MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 12-12-2007, 06:25 PM
Steel Addict

Help with tool selection

I have bought, and watched Chuck Burrow's sheath making DVD several times, and will continue to do so. I have also purchased these books by Al Stohlman, "Sewing by Hand, and Making Cases Vol. 1". I do have a question on the type of awl to purchase. I want to use Mr. Burrow's method of hand sewing as opposed to the "traditional" method. I do know the awl is diamond shaped, and should be able to hit with a hammer, but, how long should the awl be? I have 5 cord Barbour thread on order and a block of beeswax. I already have #6 stitch roller, poundo board, skiver, groover. Also, what type of awl is used to open up the holes when you back stitch. If someone could answer these 2 questions about the awls, and possibly give model numbers etc., I would greatly apprecite it. Thank you.

Bill
Old 12-13-2007, 01:20 AM
Registered

Hi Bill.
You have a wide selection of diamond shank awls at Osborne. From 1 1/2" to 3 1/4", it depends of your needs, To open holes you can use the round shank ones from Osborne too.I found all this at Weaver Leather.
Congratulations, you have the best video I?ve ever seen about sheathmaking.
Hope it helps
Old 12-13-2007, 09:22 AM
Skilled

Bill,

I use an Osbourne awl haft #OT-145 and awl #OT-44 that I purchased from Mid-Continent Leather. This is the diamond shaped awl that Chuck shows in the tutorial. The length of the awl is 1 1/2". This is plenty long enough for sheath work. Go through the front first before glueing and then finish through the back after glueing. Use the same awl to go through the holes from the back side. This will give you a neat, tight hole for sewing.
Rick
Old 12-13-2007, 11:15 AM
Super Moderator

Top Left: 5 cord linen thread
Tools on left (clockwise from left): Beeswax/Pitch mix
Stitch Groover
Stitch marker /Overstitch Wheel
Diamond tip awl used with Hammer - I use the shortest blade possible - this one is home made using an old awl haft but you can get an Osborne #143 peg awl haft which will give double duty as both a hammered punch and a hand awl
Western style edge rounder (Weaver Leather master tool)
In the center is a home made stitch pony - http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tut...titchpony.html
Top right: Round tip awl for opening up holes for backstitching - I make thes by taking a harness needle 1-2 sizes larger than the needle I'm using - this one is glued into a piece of antler
Diamond tip hand awl
One of a pair of gloves - the little finger is left on to prevent cutting yourself when sewing

For more info see the rest of my tutorial on handsewing here....
http://www.wrtcleather.com/1-ckd/tut...herstitch.html

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you all for the responses. I have read through the posts from the beginning, and I still miss answers to my questions (Ihate when that happens)! Thanks again for answering the same things over, and over again. I have ordered the tools suggested above. The only thing I think I need now is some leather, dye, finish and that "gum" stuff. I am working on a stitching pony, have all the components.

Bill
Old 12-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Steel Addict

Bill,

How much $ do you estimate that you will have invested in these "starter" tools, in order to get a good set-up for sheath making? I'm curious, because I've considered doing the same, and am wondering what the start-up costs might be?

Of course, I know that there's much more involved beyond just having the tools. I intend to fully research by reading books and watching videos, much like it seems you have done. I really enjoy looking through the Tandy Leather mailers that come every month.

Thanks,

Mike L.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:57 PM
Steel Addict

Mike,

Besides the tools mentioned in my initial post, I have purchased a small container of contact cement, dye, and a single shoulder of 6 - 7 oz. leather. I purchased these this weekend from Tandy Leather Factory which is a 4 hour drive back and forth. I have on order needles, thread and beeswax which should be here any day now. The leather isn't the top of the line, but I thought it would be fine to get some experience cutting, glueing, stitching, etc. Now the tools I bought were on the low end of the price range, but I have probably spent $175.00 including shipping on this stuff. I have nothing for tooling, opting to try and make a good sheath first and foremost, and then moving forward if that is my desire. I am sure I will have to buy some other things, but I'm close to getting started. Oh yeah, I built a stitching pony using Chuck Burrow's tutorial. I would suggest you get that DVD from him and the 2 books he recommends. I have watched the video 5 times now, and will continue to do so.

Bill

Tags
blade, knife