MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-19-2006, 11:12 PM
Steel Addict

EDC-1A (Automatic)

I just finished this one last night. It's my first leaf spring auto, and it's a spin-off of my EDC-1 slipjoint pattern. It's 3 inches closed, has a 2-3/8" blade, nickel silver liner and bolsters, brown jigged bone scales, and O-1 tool steel blade, lock bar, and rocker. The leaf spring is a single piece construction, and the knife is assembled with pins.

Questions and comments are welcomed. Thanks for looking. -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com
Old 11-20-2006, 06:20 AM
Guru

Nice lookin knife Chris. Got a gentlemanly look to it. And I like the way it goes from jigged to smooth on the bone...Bud

Old 11-20-2006, 01:11 PM
Master

Looks great Chris. Nice and tight.

How would you compare this to your scale release autos in terms of difficulty and end result?

Chris
Old 11-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks. I would say that this knife was a good bit more difficult than the scale release. The scale release is based on a lock-back, and the blade is thrown by a coil spring. This knife uses a leaf spring. I ended up having to make two springs, three lock-bars, four rocker-bars, and two sets of scales before I got everything right. Using pin construction rather than screws also added to the difficulty because I pretty much have one chance to get the finally assembly correct.

I prefer the end result of this knife over the scale release for several reasons. First, I like the fact that it's a leaf spring auto rather than a coil spring auto. I've wanted to make one of these for years. Second, I like the pin construction over the screws because it gives the knife more of a classic look. This knife has the potential to be made thinner than the scale release because you don't have to embed a coil spring into the bolsters.

All that being said, I still like the scale release auto, and I think it's a great knife. It's always fun watching someone trying to figure out how to open it.

Thanks -chris

DVDs & Tutorials are available at http://chriscrawfordknives.com

Tags
blade, knife, switchblade