MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 01-08-2006, 01:24 PM
Registered

Ever had your EDC get you out of a pinch?

I have been reading these boards for a while now but never had anything to post until now. I had an experience that I think this group might appreciate and I'll bet others have similar stories to tell.
Last night I was working on a new folder in my workshop which is a separate small house a few hundred yards from my home. I live in the mountains so it was cold and I had my wood stove going while I'm listening to some tunes and working away. I had just received a package of new handle material and was burning the box in my stove when I heard a crashing noise. I turn to the wood stove and realize that the stove pipe that connects the stove to the chimney has collapsed, pulling free from the chimney and there are burning embers flying out of the stove and all over my workshop.... Apparently the elbow had rusted over the years and something about this particularly hot fire cracked it, this set off a chain reaction that forced the pipe free from the chimney because it lost its support and there was nothing to hold it up any longer. I pulled open the door to the stove and grabbed the fire extinguisher, pulled the pin and pressed the lever....nothing. I guess because it had been so cold there was no pressure or something but now I'm very concerned that I'm going to lose the building (I was not concerned for my life because I was only a few feet from the front door). I pulled out my EDC (a small custom folder I built last year, see image below) and in one motion was able to cut about a 4 foot section of speaker wire that was running along the floor. I then put on my gloves and forced the stove pipe back into the chimney and wrapped it on speaker wire several times pulling it together with the remaining pipe on the stove to get it in a position to catch enough of the smoke and ash to go up the chimney instead of all over the room. It worked. I let the fire burn down while I finished up what I was working on.
This was a very scary moment, but thanks to a sharp edge on that little knife I was able quickly cut through the speaker wire and save the building from burning to the ground. I would be curious to hear about guys who have had their knives pull them out of a pinch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peanut 004.jpg (44.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 01-08-2006, 04:27 PM
Steel Addict

About 15 years ago I was sturgeon fishing from a small boat below McNary Dam on the Columbia River when I got my right hand tangled up in the anchor rope.
The anchor was hooked up hard to the bottom and the current was pulling the boat down river at a pretty good clip.
As I was struggling to keep from being pulled from the boat I was able to get my knife out of the belt pounch (also on my right side) with my left hand and was get it open and cut the rope.
If I had not had a knife I could open with one hand I would certainly have drowned that day.
Thank God for one hand opening knives!

-Mike-
Old 01-09-2006, 04:09 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
um i got in to my locked car with keys in side by twisting the lock with my pocket knife it was cold out

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995
Old 01-09-2006, 07:53 PM
Registered

Hey Dragon thats a nice trick I didn't think that was possible
Old 01-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to Dragon cutlery
suprisingly so

giving you your sharp and pointy fix since 1995

Tags
blade, folding knife, knife, knives