MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-28-2005, 09:47 PM
Skilled

Andrew, Beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder. The second knife I made was for my wife. I showed her blocks of beautiful wood, burl, pearl and ivory but she chose dymondwood. I've even offered to change them out a number of times but she says she loves it the way it is. I know your father feels the same way. But if you decide never to use it again, it makes great sacrificial scales when working with stag, ivory, etc.

2nd knife with emerald green dymondwood, I received a number of when I first posted

Old 12-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Master

Hey what do I know? I think it looks nice. Would never have known it was Dymondwood if you hadn't told us.

Paul Vandine
Old 12-29-2005, 12:12 AM

God help us when the cheapo knives coming in from Tiawan start showing up with curly maple, burls, ironwood, and ivory.

I've already seen some $7 dollar specials down at the mall with linen Micarta.

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 12-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Steel Addict

sold two knives last night.the buyer picked out one with maroon micarta,and the other was walnut dymondwood.last one w/dymondwood that i had.the others were different colors of micarta.if there's one thing I've learned,it's that you can't predict what someone will want.

Old 12-29-2005, 01:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Garrett
When I first stumbeled into TKN forums, the adheasive testing thread which was going for so long was very hot.

I had already bought a few items from Jantz with which to get started on my first knife, including a couple of pieces of Dymondwood.

As I was finishing that first project, I read a post in the adheasives thread in which one of the many who offered comments, tossed a bit of humor in regarding Dymondwood. You see, the testers used Dymondwood for many of their tests, and this fella joked that they should be sure and use it all up so that it never found its way onto a knife (paraphrased).
....snip...
Hey Andrew, that might have been me! I'm honored. If you have any of that stuff left, send it to me and I'll bury it out back for you along with some knives I buried last year. I'll dig it up in a year for you and take some pictures of it so you can see what it looks like -- and then rebury it deeper! I'm there for ya man.

The concept of dymondwood is sound. Plywood with cross oriented grain with good layer bonding adhesive is great stuff for minimal movement and durability. Dye the layers with god awful colors and it ruins the stuff. I wouldn't cross the room to look at a knife that was handled in dymondwood. It is too bad the cheap imports 'ruined it' with such a negative stigma. It's good material for a knife handle. IF they ever come out some dymondwood that looked more 'natural', I'd put it on a user.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:39 PM
Steel Addict

As I was sitting here laughing at what Tracy said , my wife pointed out how many of the
kit knives I made a couple of years ago had Diamondwood handles on them. I think the knife world is the one who thinks it looks cheap , people around here thought it was cool.
Again its all personal prefrence.

Old 12-29-2005, 07:42 PM

Smile Forged knives with dymondwood

Here are my third and fourth knives.
The first is 1084 forged steel blade is 6 1/4" long. With indigo blue dymondwood. Second is same steel with emerald green dymondwood blade is 3 1/2".

I am particularly pleased with how the handles turned out, and have been using the little green one pretty hard since I finished it last week. Unfortunately its pic didnt turn out real well.

Other than the stereotype of dymondwood being cheap i like it for a handle material. Although my first and second knives made use of buffalo horn and ebony. And now i have gotten hold of some exhibition walnut and maple, cant wait to use them.

knife3R.JPG

knife4.JPG

knife4l.JPG

Last edited by jbostic; 12-29-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:28 PM

I just posted the pics of my latest Dymondwood sin over in the Display Case.

I really like that blue stuff! It looks great on jbostic's wavy one too!

Dwane, you hit the nail right on the head! The average joe doesn't know that he's supposed to frown on Dymondwood.

Don't get me wrong, I am very partial to higher end stuff, but I think I'll always have a place in my heart [and my shop] for indigo Dymondwood!

BTW Tracy, I think I have some goofy colored stuff you could bury, but I'll be using it on my "Tracy Mickley Tribute Knife" LMAO

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."

Last edited by Andrew Garrett; 12-29-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives