MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-10-2005, 01:30 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
I got to the point where I was bored with them. (shrug.)

jloose.com

Old 12-10-2005, 02:26 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
I agree with you Ed. You forgot to mention that you also indirectly subscribe to American Bladesmith like i do. It is kinda downhome and slightly amateurish in the fashion of the sexy newsletter that it is, but like i said before, it is more focused. If they thickened it up a bit and put a few more "how-to" type articles in it, I would consider it to be almost perfect for the metal pounders out there. You should throw them an article or two a year, Ed. KI seems to have leaned a bit more toward forged blades lately and that is a good thing in my book, but all of the majors are still overwhelmed by factory stuff. Sometimes I think that if i see another article on the latest and greatest ATS34 or AUS-whatever stainless bladed, plastic handled assisted-opening folder, I will go postal.....lol But then again, I am somewhat cretchety. i think the post-Warner Knives annuals are clearly inferior to the ones I first read in the early to mid 90's. I hadn't bought one for a number of years and I was suprised when i bought Knives 2005 that they were trumpeting the fact that they book was all color again.....i remember with disapointment when they stopped putting the really nice pictures of knives from individual makers in the knifemaker listing section. I would have really been pissed when they went to B&W....lol

Last edited by jdm61; 12-10-2005 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Living Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm61
....Sometimes I think that if i see another article on the latest and greatest ATS34 or AUS-whatever stainless bladed, plastic handled assisted-opening folder, I will go postal.....lol
The irony of that is there are also those who would say, "Oh, man, another ABS knife? Jeesh, they all look alike."

Different strokes for different folks. I maintain there's room for everybody.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Master

i dont have a favorite...in fact i dont subscribe to any of them. when im bored or out shopping i will stop at Borders and page through a copy of blade, ki, tactical knives and if something really stands out i will buy it....but for the most part they just dont interest me. too many ads for one. the shop tips, shop tours, lovely photos, etc. i can get on the knife forums...for free. seems as the years go by i buy them less and less.

on the other hand im very glad they are published, they help spread the custom knife world to people that may not be exposed to it. one of the major influences getting me into knifemaking was finding copies of fighting knives and ki at the local pharmacy...i didnt know people made a living off custom knives.

if i had lots of money i would definitely subscribe...but since i dont, my money is better spent elsewhere.

Last edited by AUBE; 12-11-2005 at 06:45 AM.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Steel Addict

I think Aube pretty well covered it for me.

Old 12-10-2005, 09:37 PM
Steel Addict

I subscribe to Blade, Knives Illustrated, Tactical Knives, and Knife World. Blade and KI are pretty much interchangable. The two seem to duplicate each other, with the same knives and stories in nearly every issue. Tactical knives at least has a little more variety. My favorite magazine is Knife World, although it seems more like a newspaper than a magazine because it is printed in black and white on newsprint. Knife World is the only one that I find myself actually reading from cover to cover on a regular basis. I find most of the articles quite interesting, even the ones that don't catch my eye at first glance.

Old 12-11-2005, 02:57 AM
Steel Addict

Knives Australia
Old 12-14-2005, 03:38 PM
Enthusiast

subscriptions

I have recently subscribed to Knives Australia, it is always interesting and the articles done on all the knifemakers are excellent.

sponniagh tres furas (strength through patience)
Old 12-14-2005, 04:35 PM

The most beautiful magazine by far is "KNIFE" published in Japan. They're very enthusiastic about American makers but also cover the bladesmiths and makers in their part of the world. It features the best photography out there and looks like it's chock full of information too. Only problem is it's all in Japanese. AND it's expensive, approximately $16 per issue if you can find it. (Tower Records in Denver carries it which is how I discovered it.)

I enjoy KI, I really love Knife World and I also enjoy the ABS Journal (naturally, since I do a column for them every issue called "Thin Threads ad Forged Steel - The Collector's Perspective"), and I like BLADE Magazine too.

I agree about the advertisement issues but a lot goes on behind the scene that is very beneficial for knife-makers and collectors. For example if BLADE Magazine didn't exist, neither would the BLADE Show! People involved with BLADE also publish other good stuff like the KNIVES 200_ Annual, plus many books over the years. When I think of the ABS and their Journal I can't help but think of all those Hammer-Ins and the educational mission of the ABS. Knife World is my source for books and research. There's nothing else like it out there.

The other thing is that the key people associated with BLADE, Knife World and the ABS Journal are out there on the road attending shows all over. I haven't seen the editor of KI out there all that often, except Spirit of Steel show. These people are important to knife-makers and collectors. I'm talking about Mark Zalesky of Knife World, Steve Shackleford of BLADE and BR Hughes of the ABS.

It's kind of funny to hear folks grousing about these publications. If folks really understood the role they play in maker's careers and in drawing the public's attention to knives, especially custom knives they'd be more supportive. Cost of a subscription? Gimme a break. These subscriptions are dirt cheap for what they provide and dissing them is short-sighted and narrow-minded.

If the people grousing would get busy and write articles for submission, that would have a real positive impact. I know for a fact that these publications are hungry for good grass roots articles from the likes of ... us! It's kind of like voting. People complain about politics but are too lazy to vote. What's up with that?
Old 12-18-2005, 10:59 AM
Steel Addict

Thumbs up

My favorite knife magazine has to be BLADE!! It is fantastic.

Favorites: Rick Hinderer, Darrell Ralph, Mike Obenauf, Allen Elishewitz,Jens Anso,Tom Mayo,Peter Atwood, Matt Cucchiara, Shane Sibert,Patrick Nihiser,Tom Krein,Kevin Wilkins, Peter Carey, John W. Smith.........
Old 12-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to jdm61
the KI folks were at the Guild Show. I subscribed when i was there. What are the odds of getting an article published in the mags? i would love to see more empahsis on and participation by the Apprentice smiths (likeme...lol)in the ABS journal So Buddy.........are you going to be bidding on the Board ST23 this coming summer?
Old 12-19-2005, 12:39 PM
Enthusiast

the only knife mag available localy is tacticaly knives. so thats the one i read.

Old 12-19-2005, 01:43 PM

jdm61 - I also would like to see more emphasis on ABS Apprentice smiths in the ABS Journal. I'm always looking for ideas to write about and one thing I'm particularly interested in is stories about knifemakers and their customers. If you have a story in that area or any kind of story really about people and their knives, please get in touch and lets talk about it.

This goes for anybody who'd like to see their article or story published in one of the knife mags. I can't make it happen but I've been through the process enough times that I can at least help facilitate. I'm open to being contacted by anybody about this.

And regarding the auction of Bill Moran's final forged damascus blade that has been finished by the Mastersmiths on the ABS board of directors - No, I doubt I'll be bidding because I predict this knife will bring the seriously heavy hitters out in the open to try and snag what will undoubtedly be an historic and important knife for a collector to own. We'll see - if the price doesn't go through the roof right away maybe some of us common folk can bid.

I'm betting that knife will go for over 15K easy and it could break 20K. I'm happy to have the last carbon steel blade Mr. Moran ever forged - but that's not nearly as significant as his last damascus blade since damascus is what he's truly known for. It should be a very exciting auction (in June at the BLADE Show in Atlanta).
Old 12-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Guru

I have to agree with Buddy.I subscribe to Blade and KI and get every Knives annual.I also occasionally read Knife World and Tactical Knives. I have more than paid for my subscriptions and Knives Annual purchases by sales coming directly from them.I don't have any paid advertisements with them either. I submitted my Bio to Joe at the Knives annual group quite a while back and have been fortunate to have my work pictured 5 out of the last 6 years.A couple of years ago Joe Kertzman contacted me about a picture of a knife that I sent to KA. He said he really liked it a wanted to put me into the Knifemakers Showcase.I got four orders just from that. So it didn't cost me much and I got some good exposure, sold some knives and made some new friends.Dave
Old 12-30-2005, 07:39 AM

I'll go with the idea of Coop starting a new one!
Actually I favor all three of the main magazines. They each have their own style and something to offer.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives