MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 11-25-2005, 08:28 PM
Skilled

What Does This Law Say?

i was reaing the local laws concerning prohibited weapons today and i came accross the paragraph describing a dagger

"Dagger", being a sharp pointed stabbing instrument (other than an oyster knife), ordinarily capable of being concealed on the person and having?
(a) a flat blade with cutting edges (whether serrated or not serrated) along the length of both sides; or
(b) a needle-like blade, the cross section of which is elliptical or has 3 or more sides, but not including instruments such as swords or bayonets.

do you think that i could make a dagger that is sharpened on one side only? or would it then still be covered by paragraph "b" i was looking at something similar to the knife kit GX6.

any input would be apreciated,
Brett Holmes
Old 11-25-2005, 09:32 PM
Master

I think if you make it double edge on one side, and flat on the other that would be 3 sides and covered by B. Just my guess.

What state is this?

Paul Vandine
Old 11-25-2005, 10:39 PM
Skilled

its victoria, in Australia
Old 11-26-2005, 12:48 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not a lawyer, but I have to read regulations on pretty much a daily basis. It's not unusual for a reg like this to have some gray areas. If the gov't wants to make a case against a knife, they will bend the reg to fit.

You might consider stamping "Oyster Knife" on the side!

Old 11-26-2005, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

G'day Brett.
Mate what are you going to use it for, collector/display? As I understand it in Victoria you can obtain collectors status & own these sort of knives if secured correctly. The law can be very grey & subjective.

What I think b refers to is a middle age style stilleto that was thin & had wide cross section & no true edge for pentrating l armour, that's my thought.
Idon't know the kit you refer to the best advice I can give is try to speak to Jason Cutter a regular on this forum & based in Melbourne. He's a good bloke & very knowledgable.
Cheers
Mitch
Old 11-26-2005, 08:28 PM
Skilled

mitch, i was just planning to make it and keep it for my self really just for a collection i supose. your right, i can get exemption from the laws if i apply for it to be a collection peice and keep it secure, but i'd rather not have to go through the hassle. i was really just wondering weather a knife with the basic dagger shape but only sharp on one side is still considered prohibited by these laws. i have spoken to jasoon, not on this matter but on others. i bought my multi tool of him and his were the first custom knives i ever saw.

thanks everyone for their input

Brett
Old 12-01-2005, 03:50 AM
Living Legend

Brett, just came across this thread.

I have actually fallen foul of this regulation. Ironically, it was when one of my tactical knives was being sent back for refinishing, that Customs seized the knife because it had a sharp top edge and was "concealable." I think the interpretation by the Customs person was a little liberal, given that the 2 edges were unequal length, the top edge was only 1-1/4inches long. But they were convinced that the knife was considered a dagger by this classification because of its relatively small size - about 8inches OAL. Ironically, a larger knife like one of my bowies, with a sharp top swedge would have passed muster because it wouldn't have been "concealable."

I do believe the laws are intentionally "gray" to give statuatory personnel the discretionary powers to seize and confiscate.

Mind you, the Customs guy was very very helpful and very willing to discuss the various matters. He seemed a knife knut himself. He also warned that if a particular item wasn't encompassed under one classification of Prohibited Weapons, it could potentially be encompassed by a separate clause that could still make it a Prohibited Item.

Another example of such gray areas of the law - the Camillus Darrell Ralph AXD and Mad Maxx folders are now considered "flick knives" and "gravity knives" because even though they have closing detents, the blades are heavy enough that they open readily when the handle is "flipped." Customs are also looking closely at any folder now with a "flipper" facility. Ask 10 different Customs officers and you will get 10 different opinions, but this is what the majority are uniformly saying now.

Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
blade, knife, knives