MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-18-2005, 09:13 PM
Steel Addict

DDR3 BL stainless Safety and detent spring Mods

I'm going to show you what I've come up with since there seems to be some interest in guys making their own safety buttons. First I make the button from a piece of stainless bar stock, and cut it, file it and fit it to the right size to function properly. I leave the top of the button a little tall so I can finish it down to a comfortable height or do file work on it as desired. I then cut the back spine to accept a .04 flat spring at a point that planes out to just below the buttons bottom. The spring can extend no farther forward than the opening for the button lock in the liner, or it will interfere with the button after assembly. I bend a round detent in the end of the spring, cut it to the correct length and stake it into the back spine. The detent end of the spring can not extend too far below the button or it will come into contact with the blade when the knife is closed. I install the modified backspine/spring assembly and then install the button. I mark and cut two grooves in the bottom of the button at a point where they engage the detent spring in the fire and safe positions. All surfaces of the button need to be polished so that it moves freely against the liners and the spring. I hope the pictures give some further explanantion to my attempted brief description. I have done this on three DDR3 BL's and it works great for me. The spring tension can be adjusted by bending the spring a little either way to get the amount of holding tension. It makes a nice positive click when it locks in and out. When you make a button like this, you do have to groove the scales to make a relief for the safety to slide into, otherwise your safety will not work properly.

Last edited by battlement; 01-30-2006 at 01:16 AM.

Tags
blade, knife