MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Business of Knife Making

The Business of Knife Making A forum dedicated to all aspects of running, managing and legal operational issues relating to the custom knife making and custom knife selling industry.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:55 PM

full time?

I just started making knives and got addicted... I live in an apartmemt right now but I'm working on knives in my spare time at my dads I'm a kitchen manager and hate my job. Just looking for some advise on how to getstarted doing this full time.. thanks..
Old 10-31-2013, 05:57 PM
Steel Addict

Find a different job that you like. Sorry, but it's very hard to be a full time maker and make ends meet. Most all full timers either are retired, have a spouse that works a good job, etc.

Don't mean to burst your bubble, just telling you like it is.

Sorry.

D.B.A Craig's Outdoor Sports
Knifemaker and Gunsmith
Old 10-31-2013, 08:16 PM
Skilled

At a recent ABS hammer-in in Topeka, Kansas 8 Master Smiths had a question and answer period and were asked the same thing. They said it was only feasible for them to make a living full time by becoming debt free first, and having a solid reputation as a skilled knifemaker before doing so. Otherwise it is very difficult and very stressful counting on money to roll in. Just some interesting feedback from some masters.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 11-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Steel Addict

I tried it for a while. I did OK, but nowhere near enough to support my other habits like hunting and fishing. Your best bet is to find a good job to make ends meet. I use my knives to support my hobbies.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:29 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCountry86 View Post
I tried it for a while. I did OK, but nowhere near enough to support my other habits like hunting and fishing. Your best bet is to find a good job to make ends meet. I use my knives to support my hobbies.

Aman and I am Retired too it still has to support my Hobbies as well .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 11-02-2013, 05:24 PM

thanks guys
Old 11-03-2013, 05:00 PM
Steel Addict

I bet we aren't alone on that one Sam. And it also takes the fun out of it when you depend on it to live.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:04 AM

Better look at ALL the numbers very closely. You make a knife and sell it for $200 cash.....feels pretty good. Now sit down and really crunch the #'s on time and materials, utilities, food, vehicle maintenance, etc. Now how many will you have to make and SELL each month to pay all those bills and still eat and sleep dry at night? You must also take into consideration who your clients are and if they will be consistently buying from you each month or will you have to branch out, which will incur advertising/travel/time away from the shop that you need to be making knives. Will your market be consistent thoughout the year(s)?
Then....there's the government doll out....you will have to pay the Man to run a business and they will make it so complicated for you as a small business you'll consider becoming expatriated.

Lots to consider and that's just the surface....doesn't include the "Unaffordable Care Act".

Bottom line, you better get real serious about the numbers before you jump in. Water is deep and there are lots of rocks and undertow.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I agree with everyone else! I have newer makers calling/emailing me all the time, asking my advice on "going full time"... if you have a paying job, and especially if that job has benefits......it's a no brainer.

The only reason I am full time is because of a military retirement...otherwise I suspect I'd be saying "Hi Folks! Welcome to Walmart" all day long.

I can remember having the same thoughts of "goin full time", and was looking at all the then "big name" makers. After several years, and getting to know some of those folks, my bubble was shattered.... without naming names, I know of several "big name" makers who have to take out loans to go to the Blade Show!

Everyone here has given sound advice, and I will simply say, if you have a paying job, keep knives "part time" until you have a clear path to go full time. I can't count the number of full time makers that I have seen go "part time" in the past 5 years.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Master

I tried full time. Total bust.
Old 01-03-2014, 03:44 PM
Steel Addict

If you want to go full time, you will need a 'business plan' where you make projections based on the 'market' you define. Unless you have 'defined' your market, you cannot make a business plan. In this day and age, if you don't have a concrete business plan, crunching all the numbers, your chance of developing your knife making into a paying proposition are slight---at best. I would suggest that you keep your day job and put another 40 hours a week into making knives. Then sell those knives. Then try to define your market and make a decision based on those figures.

BTW, if you do go full time, you will be working 80 hours a week, at least for for the foreseeable future. ...Teddy
Old 01-08-2014, 04:15 PM
Skilled

you can do it!

I strongly recommend you tool up first.
when you've got the skill and tool set to where you can make 20-30 knives a week and a dedicated workshop to house it all,your ready to give it a go

then you need to have your venues laid out ie gun/knife shows, custom knife shows, craft shows, festivals etc at least 6 months ahead.

stock up on and keep on hand enough materials to make about 200 knives minimum, that way if you end up having to rob peter to pay Paul you don't find yourself without materials
ie you do 4 or 5 slow shows in a row and make enough to buy more materials or pay bills but not both.

and don't stop making stock, even if you have gobs of it made, make more.

my wife and I typically put in 50-60 hours a week. every week. ( more if we are attending a show...that's work too! ) be prepared to work really REALLY hard
good luck and have fun!

Old 04-02-2014, 10:10 AM
rawcustom

I think you would make more money selling knife making supplies than trying to sell knives alone. The knife maker market is very saturated and you will have plenty of competition. Knife making suppliers I can count on one hand.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to zappo
It might just take the fun out of it, years ago I seriously considered becoming a full time hunting guide. A good friend of mine whom had been doing it for years said the words that talked me out of it..."It will take away your desire to hunt" that was all I needed to hear.

Old 05-24-2014, 03:35 AM

Knife is our family business, we've been making knives for almost 2 decades now and yeah it sell pretty well most of them are the customized ones. problems are the government restrictions in my case here in southeast Asia. We made our big fortune in online marketing because they sell pretty well.

Tags
abs, advice, bee, blade, custom, custom knife, fishing, hammer, hand, how to, hunting, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, made, make, making, materials, military, supplies, surface