MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community > Knife Collecting

Knife Collecting From beginner to professional. Discuss the latest trends, get reviews, opinions and more ... If you're serious about collecting custom knives, start here!

Old 07-18-2002, 03:37 PM
Steel Addict

Daniel Winkler

Hi,

Does anyone here have first hand experience with Daniel Winkler and his knives? How do they compare to other MS' knives? They seem to have a lot of work in them compared to many knives I've seen. They also seem, quite logically I guess, quite expensive...

What do people think?

JD

Old 07-18-2002, 08:17 PM
Steel Addict

I don't own a Winkler, but I've handled a lot. I've never thought of his knives as being expensive, but I guess it's all relative. When you put one of Daniel's knives with one of Karen Shooks sheaths you have a very special package. I admired one of Daniel's Bowies and I asked my buddy Max Burnett to make me his version of it. Max did an outstanding job. I even showed it to Daniel and he was of the same opinion. A Winkler knife has what some people call "a Face" meaning that they have a look all of their own, that you can spot from across the room. I think they would stand out in any collection.
Old 07-29-2002, 04:04 PM
Guru

I have to agree with Phil,Dan' s knives are incredibly well executed and Karen's sheathwork is outstanding. Their work makes you feel like your in the 1800'S. I am amazed at the talent required to make something new look so old.I don't think you would be sorry.Dave
Old 10-08-2002, 01:24 AM
Living Legend

Thumbs up daniel winkler

Hi all,

I'm very fond of historical reproductions (of using knives) and particularly like the genre that Daniel Winkler has promoted. I think not all "primitive knives" are alike.

I've never handled a Winkler knife, but have spent many a moment drooling over pictures of them at home. Some makers can "sort of" come up with a primitive knife, often using primitive methods or with "primitive fit and finish."

Daniel Winklers are constructed with superb attention to precise fit and immaculate finish, the aged look is achieved by the combination of the whole package and the patina is ADDED to that already precise and immaculate construction. It is not intended to cover up or distract from the little flaws that do tend to give the appearance of a truly hand-made knife. This feature is quite obvious when you just look at the pictures.

Another age-ing finish that I like is Ricky Fowler's antiqued finish which looks for all intents and purposes like a pitted-and-pooled corroded blade. But the beauty is in the controlled nature of it, where you can tell that the effect is intentional not accidental.

My Aussie 2cents worth.

Cheers.

(Matthew 10.16)
Old 10-08-2002, 11:15 AM
Enthusiast

nice stuff

I've handled some of Mr. Winkler's knives. I don't own any, yet...note the "yet" They're worth every penny.
Old 10-08-2002, 11:39 AM
Steel Addict

I bought a small bird & trout recently from Cutting Edge. It's great - very well built, comfortable, and interesting to look at. I'll get a bigger piece one of those days.

JD

Old 01-03-2003, 12:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
I don't own one of Dans knives, but have handled many, and the impression that I got was that I was looking at a well cared for musem piece.
His knives are a true art form. The same with Karens sheaths, they complete the overall pkg.

Mike

Tags
blade, knife, knives