MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 11-02-2002, 04:55 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to Ansoknives Send a message via AIM to Ansoknives
laminated kydex/leather tutorial

Some time ago I made a tutorial on making kydexsheaths. You can see that one here: tutorial

I was asked if I would do a tutotial on how I laminate leather over kydex so here goes. Alot is similar to the previous tutorial so have a look at that first.

I start by heating a piece of kydex big enough to fold around the knife. I fold it and place the kydex and sheath in a doublepadded press:

This is the result after the kydex has cooled down.

I roughly shape the sheath with bandsaw and grinder and drill the holes I need in the kydex for eyelets. I place them so they will fit the beltloop later installed.

I take a piece of 60 grit sandpaper (actually I use old belts that I tear in pieces.) and rough up the surface of the kydex. I put the sheath on a piece of leather (in this case green lizzardskin) and measure and cut the leather oversize. The sheath and the inside of the skin is coated with rubbercement and let it dry out good. Carefully to avoid airbubbles I wrap the leather around the sheath. Now the two materials are worked together with a rubberhammer. With a scalpel I cut the leather where I drilled the holes:

The eyelets are set on top of the leather:

Now the edges are grinded smooth and I soak the edges of the leather with Zap-Ca (superthin superglue). This is done to avoid seperations. I dye the sheath and give it a good coat of leatherwax and its done. Here its seen with a similar sheath in regular kydex:

And here is a picture of the knife inside:

Tags
knife