MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 11-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Happy Thanksgiving to Everyone!

Before everyone starts "heading down the road", I wanted to wish everyone a Wonderful Thanksgiving.

I took Cindy to the airport this morning....she's going to Florida to spend Thanksgiving with her Mom, and for the first time, her Mom will have all of her kids together for a Thanksgiving! Mandi (my daughter) will be working at the hospital, so I made reservations for my Mom and I at a local restaurant for Thanksgiving dinner. Figured there was no reason to have to cook and clean when I could let someone else do it!

Enjoy the Holiday, and take the time to be thankful for all the blessings we enjoy. It's always easy for us to pay more attention to our problems, when we really should be focusing on all the good things......so just for a while, forget all the things that are "wrong", and focus on just how much we really have, and how blessed we really are.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-23-2011, 12:18 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks For the good wishes ED and the same to you and all our Knife loving Friends

Old 11-23-2011, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Yes Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. We all have so much to be thankful for. Family and friends most of all.

"Designed for the saddle from the saddle"

www.horsewrightclothing.com
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

So, now that the big day of gorging is over....how's everyone?

This morning I'm back in the shop, finishing up a Flipper order, and working on 2 EBK Gen2 and one Gen2 hunter in Fossil Damascus.

Anxiously waiting for that "Christmas Rush" to happen!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Skilled

Belated Happy Thanksgiving everyone! Today we've got people coming up from S. Indiana for a puppy then I'm spending the rest of the day in the basement working on the studio (finally things are coming together). Nothing like a bad break and a year of rehab to put someone behind schedule.

J

Old 11-26-2011, 10:17 AM
Steel Addict

Sounds like you're staying busy, Ed. Wish my "busy" was with knives, but can't complain-pretty darned blessed. Is that flipper you're finishing have bearings like the one you had at the show? Are those bearings something a guy could use on most any folding knife? I was just kind of surprised at how much I liked that one and am sort of thinking down the road..... Have a great weekend and don't forget to wear those pants with the stretchy waist if things get a little too tight .

Jeremy
Old 11-26-2011, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Julie:

Puppy? And you didn't post any pics?

Everybody loves puppies.....and if they don't they don't belong around here!

Jeremy:
The Flipper is the same pattern as the one I had in Boise....just with smooth blue scales this time.
Those bearings can be used as long as the liners are thick enough.....there needs to be a .050" deep counterbore into the insides of the scales for the bearings to "fit" into (that leaves about .012" sticking up, and after you put the folder together and work it, the bearing will "seat" about .002", which leaves you with about .010" gap between the blade and the scales/liners).... I've not figured it out to the Nth degree, but would say that a person would want to use at least .100+" thick liners in order to use the bearings....and that might be pushing it (I use .150" thick Ti on those flippers)....with an internal counterbore of .050", and a counter bore for the exterior pivot screws (on the frame locks, with "alien head" screws, I counterbore the exterior to .030".....that would leave a .010" "web" which I doubt would be enough material to hold up) it wouldn't leave much "meat"between the two counterbores.

Of course the lock would have to be machined down to .050 or less at the back end to prevent too much spring pressure. The easiest way to use the bearings is in a Frame-lock design, where the scales are .150" thick or so....that gives enough room for both the internal counterbore for the bearings, and the exterior counterbore for the pivot screw heads.

Steve Kelly and I have been tossing around how to make the bearings work with a liner lock design.....and the best thing we've come up with is finding a thrust washer for the bearings......that way you could use the bearings in just about any material you can counterbore.. but that brings up the issue of adding material thickness to accommodate the thrust washer's thickness, and what/how to build the lock bar.

That's what's so neat about knifemaking....always a challenge to be overcome, and things to be learned/figured out.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 11-26-2011, 08:27 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info, Ed.

Jeremy
Old 11-30-2011, 03:48 AM
Skilled

[QUOTE=Ed Caffrey;431652]Julie:

Puppy? And you didn't post any pics?

Everybody loves puppies.....and if they don't they don't belong around here!

Ok, Ok, they are all sold anyway, the last pup gets delivered to a couple coming down from Canada on Thurs. I lost my male two months ago to cancer, this was his last litter. 11 pups, all black mantles. I kept the pick of the litter male (dad's doppleganger), he's my Christmas present to myself.

8 weeks old and already 18.75#, he's going to be BIG. I'm not going to be doing his ears.

Old 11-30-2011, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

That's a GREAT looking "little" guy!

Is it just me....or does puppy breath smell like when you're mixing epoxy for a knife handle?

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 11-30-2011, 08:21 AM
Enthusiast

I'm thinking ya been mixing too much epoxy Ed, lol. Or smelling too much puppy breath maybe. My son was down (he cowboys in OR) for the holidays. He had a new McNabb cross pup with him. Color wise he and this young guy above sure could be twins. Not much as full of life as a puppy.

Old 11-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Guru

Puppy breath & epoxy fumes. You gave me a big grin on that one. I don't believe that I've ever compared them. That one cheered up an otherwise uneventful morning. I've got a mosaic billet tile cut & ready to be assembled but I'm having trouble getting motivated so far today (never been much of a morning person).

Thanks for the bit of levity.

Gary

Old 11-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Skilled

McNabb?? Are they border collies? Ours are Great Danes Dad was close to 200#, all big baby and momma's boy.

Problem is my little guy loves sleeping in my lap (that's going to change here really soon!)

Old 11-30-2011, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast

McNabb is an Australian stock dog. I don't know much about em. Little stouter built than a Border Collie. Lot of guys around here liked em for ranch work. My own dog is just a pound rescue blender dog, (ya put some Queensland, some Catalhoula and some terrier into a blender and ya get my dog), but she's got a lot of cow in her. Works real well but she does hear voices and sees ghosts, kinda psycho but a good ranch dog. Yep you ain't gonna want that puppy sitting in your lap much longer. I've got horses and cattle that probably don't eat as much as that dog will!

Old 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsewright View Post
I've got horses and cattle that probably don't eat as much as that dog will!
Thanks for the info, I'd never heard of them before (learn something new everyday!) I have 4 Danes, one pound rescue (lil ugly brown rat dog) and a possum in the shop here at the house and go through about $80.00 (120#) a month in food.

J

Tags
blade, cancer, christmas, damascus, folder, folding knife, forge, hunter, knife, knifemaking, knives, liner lock, pivot, post, scales