MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 06-16-2002, 01:50 PM

Speed freak...

Just for curiosity, what's the fastest you have ever gone on land?

Me?
Race dragbike: 171mph
Street bike (ZX11 Kawi) 165mph
Car (turbo Porsche) 150mph

I've been around fast stuff all my life, so this isn't a contest. Just testing your memory... (or your insanity )

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Hall of Famer

135 or so
4 dr, '57 Buick

Old 06-17-2002, 12:39 PM
Living Legend

Maybe not as fast as you but I had the rear end in my Cuda' blow and lock up at 142mph.

In my home town the cops did not want us racing so they would let us run the highway and get us on radar, then the guy you were "Racing" would make the same run, the fastest radar reading won the race. We did this every Wednesday night. My rear end locked up and I skidded a brand new set of M50 tires down to worthless before I came to a stop.

That was 28 years ago and 142mph for a car owned by a 17 year old was pretty darn fast.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 06-17-2002, 01:22 PM
Guru

Last week I think we got up to about 7 knots in the old yacht we chartered

Roger

Old 06-17-2002, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Warner
That was 28 years ago and 142mph for a car owned by a 17 year old was pretty darn fast.
Bob, you're MY hero!! That must have been a 440 or a even a 426. 17 yrs old!!! You GO boy!!!

My fastest car was a 68 Camaro that did 11's in the quarter in 1972. But it had 4.88 gears in the rear. No top-end records there!

The reason I ask this, is I think everyone has a distict memory of 'that time we went XXX mph'. For us speed junkies it's like remembering our first, ummmmm, uhhhhh, 'date'.

I think I did near sixty on a boat once. Now THAT'S a ride!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 06-17-2002, 10:53 PM
Administrator

79MPH on the water in a Starcraft Stinger with a full blown 351 Windsor. (I hate Ford when it comes to performance, but nothing could run with that boat on the lake we used to visit ... not even the Game Wardens). I bought it from a Friend of mine and Rade Hawkins' about 20 years ago, his wife made him sell it because it was too dangerous, so he laid it on me. I was a 19 year old punk with a speed boat ... that lasted until I took my dad for a ride in it. He said, "I don't care if it is your money, you're selling this thing before you kill someone!" Man, what a summer!

It dyno'ed at 450HP.

Now, I like to float around the edges quietly and avoid the news media!

[======]~~~~~~~>

Atlantavirtual.com
Atlanta NOC
Old 06-18-2002, 10:21 PM
Steel Addict

150 mph plus on a motorcycle....several times

my 66 chevelle super sport with a 396 did 9s in the quarter if I didn't spin the rubber off at the start line. Top end was good too, darn car would drive itself sometimes. It took corners at speeds that would kill ya in any other car.

ghostdog
Old 06-19-2002, 03:02 AM

Red face Late night speed report

Several years ago, when my car was still relatively new and not too many on the road yet (I drive a Lexus GS 400-with 300 horses), I was on 95 headed for Wash. DC on a bright , sunny day. A guy in a brand new BMW sport car (850 series-go for around 100 G's) pulled up next to me. He was checking me out and I was checking him. Suddenly he gave a wave and took off doing at least 100mph. I was in manual mode with shifter buttons on the steering wheel at the time. I wasn't about to let him get away with that and quickly caught up to him. We were neck and neck doing 110mph. He picked it up and I kept with him. I broke off at 141mph when my detector went off (it felt like I was only doing 70mph!). I quickly cut my speed in half while he continued to blow out of there. When I passed him a couple of minutes later, he was pulled over getting his ticket.
I waved and he waved back,... with a smile.

I now have 85,000 miles on that car and it still purrs. No longer doing that kind of speed. Years ago I'd do that sort of thing all the time, but with a family, these days I mostly drive like I'm civilized.

Dennis

PS. In case you're looking at the time I posted...I put that new Variable Speed Bandsaw together tonight, adjusted it (major pain), and got it up and running.
Way cool!

Anyway, fell asleep on the basement sofa, just woke up, thought I'd check the forums real quick before heading up to bed.
Old 06-19-2002, 11:30 AM
Skilled

75mph in a Baja 20 footer with a 350 olds rocket motor
158 mph in a 79 vette sb that car was a beast 14,000 rpm red line

~ Cogito Cogito Ergo Cogito Sum ~
Old 06-19-2002, 04:02 PM
Founding Member Sys_Admin

Send a message via ICQ to KnifeWife Send a message via Yahoo to KnifeWife
180 MPH in a plane (DC10) that wouldn't stop.

Old 06-22-2002, 06:21 AM
Skilled

I haven't been quite as fast as you all but my Dad likes to tell the story of how he and his buddy left Boston in the wee hours on a Saturday night back in the mid sixties. They were in an old 1950's police interceptor and made it back to Hartford in just under an hour averaging speeds of over a hundred the entire way. Upon arrival at home they noted that the tread on one of the front tires was just about gone.

Knives, Tools and Videos: http://www.phlaunt.com/atwoodknives
Old 06-22-2002, 02:34 PM
Living Legend

Feeling Lucky?

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 06-24-2002, 11:53 AM
Registered

326 mph in a C-130 with WAY to many JATOs attached. The pilot wanted to find out if it was really possible to take of ACROSS the runway. Good thing he tried it lengthways first as the control surfaces where too much for him & he couldn't get her to lift before the bottles shut down. We coasted to a stop 600 feet off the end of the runway.

For vehicles that aren't supposed to leave the ground, 204 through the traps in a 68 Mustang. Kinda scary when you realize you've only got another quarter mile to stop...
Old 06-27-2002, 08:32 AM
Master

145 on mates f/blade

135 (ish) toyota supra (again someone elses)

120-125 (never can tell) Kawasaki Z1-900 (mine)

125 (ish) vauxhall vectra 2.0GLS (mine)

Sorry guys, but we've got shorter roads than you have (& many, many speed cameras )

Latest update:

125-130 (128 est) downhill, this afternoon, coming back home to see my baby bear. vauxhall astra 1.8sri (company car)

• Who's There?
  • Cowsgo
  • Cowsgo Who?
  • NO, Cows Go Moo!

Last edited by Colin KC; 06-28-2002 at 05:13 PM.
Old 07-04-2002, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to jar
Top ends were never all that high. Used to mess around in SCCA and even thought about taking a shot at the under 2.5 Trans/Am for a little.

Two most vivid memories. At Riverside on the short course, late breaking a turn to find that sand had drifted across the track. My times went way down but my style points approached a 10.

My first lap at speed at the old Road Atlanta. There used to be a concrete overpass to the infield. It was right after you crested the hill and fell down a reverse camber section to the turn onto the start finish straightaway. As you came up hill on the back side (fastest streatch on the track), the crossover was actually below your line of sight. You'd have your foot all the way down and see this concrete wall rise in front of you.

Now your mind knew that it was way past the crest and you'd go under it, but somehow that information just never made it into your conciousness. It was all you could do to believe that you weren't heading full speed into that wall.

The bone-chilling scream split the warm summer night in two, the first half being before the scream when it was fairly balmy and calm and pleasant, the second half still balmy and quite pleasant for those who hadn't heard the scream at all, but not calm or balmy or even very nice for those who did hear the scream, discounting the little period of time during the actual scream itself when your ears might have been hearing it but your brain wasn't reacting yet to let you know.