MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Skilled

Damascus and Koa long hunter...

Here's another I just got finished for a show in two weeks. The damascus was forged by me last time I was at Ed Caffrey's shop.
It was a cutoff of a twist billet that measured about 1" x 1" x 2". When I drew the piece out to blade length the twist straightened out. Not the most interesting pattern in the world but I think it's pretty cool and goes to show that there is no such thing as "scrap" damascus.

Specs:
My own damascus, forged from 1084 and 15n20 steel, about 285 layers if I remember right
9 3/4" overall, 5 1/4" blade, .205" thick at the ricasso
German Silver fittings
Stabilized Koa handle

I could call this one "Stripes". I picked the koa so the stripes in the handle would accent the stripes in the blade.

All comments and discussion welcome.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Steel Addict

Beautiful knife love the look of that Damascus in relation to the Koa. Woe love to learn some from you and Ed especially living in he same state but being in miles city it's still quite a drive.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:49 PM
Skilled

What an exceptional piece.
The Damascus looks great and I really like the coined guard spacer... and the guard shape!
wow

Old 01-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Skilled

Another amazing knife Mr Doyle, as always I'm totally awestruck by your work. I really need to find a tutorial on the coin spacers.

Do you shape the handle and all of your fittings before securing the handle?
Old 01-04-2013, 10:57 PM
Skilled

Ditto with the others, John. beautiful work, as usual! I like the contrasting patterns and love that guard shape too. Do you use a Colby bolt to cinch up the handle and grind afterwards?

Thanks for sharing your art work, buddy,
Dana
Old 01-05-2013, 02:17 PM
Enthusiast

Beautiful as always John, it can be kind of aggravating when the pattern in the spine turns out like what you intended for the blade...

Old 01-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the kind words guys. I appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hempish View Post
Beautiful knife love the look of that Damascus in relation to the Koa. Woe love to learn some from you and Ed especially living in he same state but being in miles city it's still quite a drive.
A trip to Ed's would be WELL worth the time and expense for you. There is much to be learned there with every visit. Ed has taught me much of what I know (I don't really think I know that much at all ) and he's had a lot to do with the knives I'm making now and the direction I've been going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
Another amazing knife Mr Doyle, as always I'm totally awestruck by your work. I really need to find a tutorial on the coin spacers.

Do you shape the handle and all of your fittings before securing the handle?
I have everything made to take apart, during assembly only, not on the finished knife. That way I can work the handle as a whole or each piece at a time, at my discretion. Whatever is necessary to get the desired result. Most knives are a constant combination of back and forth between all at once and each piece separately. The coin edging needs to pretty much be the last thing done to the spacer so all the rest of the handle needs to be shaped and pretty much polished and finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana Hackney View Post
Ditto with the others, John. beautiful work, as usual! I like the contrasting patterns and love that guard shape too. Do you use a Colby bolt to cinch up the handle and grind afterwards?

Thanks for sharing your art work, buddy,
Dana
thanks Dana. Yeah I use a corby type fastener, ( I make my own cause corby's are too expensive) But that's pretty much it. I like this method because it's REALLY strong, makes sure nothing can move or come apart, especially with hidden pins through the guard, spacers and into the end of the wood, then the whole handle filled with epoxy. The other thing I like is I'd rather see the ground off bolt at the end than pins in the handle in MOST cases. Sometimes pins are a necessity or just plain look 'right'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougCampbell View Post
Beautiful as always John, it can be kind of aggravating when the pattern in the spine turns out like what you intended for the blade...
Thanks Doug. Yeah, I didn't really know what would happen to the pattern as I have very limited experience with damascus. Makes me wonder if I had flipped the little piece 90 degrees before I drew it out if it would be like the pattern on the spine instead? That would have been cool too.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:28 PM
Enthusiast

Love the knife! I've always wondered how you carve out the handle and locate the hole for the corny bolt. I would love to try a knife of this construction but can't quite wrap my head around that. Anybody have an idea?
Old 01-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Steel Addict

nice one John!

Jim

Tags
art, blade, damascus, fastener, forged, guard, handle, hidden, hunter, knife, knives, make, pattern, pins, spacer, spacers, steel, tutorial, wood, wrap