MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:43 AM
Skilled

Question Glock Model 23 Leather Holster Q?

Hi all,
I would like to make a simple leather side/hip belt holster (open carry, not CCW) for my Model 23 Glock.
I searched online and found a lot of semi-useful information. Just checking here to see if there's a good legitimate one-stop source that anyone knows of which I could draw from. I know it's probably not very complicated but want to make sure I create a quality piece.
Thanks!

Last edited by rockhound; 03-09-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 03-10-2013, 10:47 AM
Skilled

Difficult to find comprehensive free information on this subject but I'm starting to get a handle on it. Many poor youtube videos that are not worthwhile.
Lot's of good info regarding western holsters available including Chuck's DVD which looks excellent.... but I'm looking to make a modern pancake holster.
Stumbled upon a pattern book from Springfield Leather Company and think I will go that route for starters, should shorten the learning curve a little.
If anyone has experience with this book I'd love to hear your thoughts: http://springfieldleather.com/32523/...ter%2C5styles/
thanks!

Old 03-10-2013, 08:51 PM
Skilled

The book will, in fact, be valuable and shorten the learning curve as it pertains to pattern making. I don't know anything about you, but if you are truly just beginning, then you still have to learn which tools to acquire and how to use them, leather types, weights and qualities and where to get them......and so forth. ..........But the book will be a good investment to that end. Good Luck!

It might be good to seek out a professional in your area and ask questions, observe and take notes. I can tell you up front, if this is not something you think you would like to continue doing, then buying your holster from a custom maker will be far less expensive in the long run.

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 03-10-2013, 10:20 PM
Skilled

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheathmaker View Post
I don't know anything about you, but if you are truly just beginning, then you still have to learn which tools to acquire and how to use them, leather types, weights and qualities and where to get them......and so forth.
Thank you Paul. I'm pretty well along with learning leather work and already own leather tools. I have Chuck's sheath DVD set and have learned a lot from that. I've made a few knife sheaths, several axe/hawk sheaths and have done some wet-forming. So... not exactly a beginner with leather but have yet to make a gun holster. I can pattern and make knife and axe sheaths reasonably well at this point.
I think I'll go ahead and order this pattern book. I believe I can handle the progressions of 'constructing' a holster but definitely could use some guidance with patterning them.
Thanks!

Old 03-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Skilled

The pattern book will definitely be an asset and a big help, given your more advanced experience level. Making a holster is almost identical to the steps you learned for making a pouch sheath. Just a little more thought and it can morph into a pancake sheath....or holster. Have fun!!

Paul

Paul Long-- 108 Briarwood Ln. W.-- Kerrville, Texas 78028-- Ph. 830 367 5536--- pfl@cebridge.net
Old 03-11-2013, 12:33 PM
Skilled

Thanks again Paul! Admittedly, I am having more fun doing leather work than knife work. This will balance once I can afford a 2X72 belty but am really enjoying learning the basics of leather craft right now. Eventually I will attempt stamping patterns and such but am trying to get my hands dirty on most of the different sheath and holster techniques before I get fancy. Holsters should be a good learning experience/extension in that regard. This forum continues to be an excellent resource and inspiration.

Old 03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Skilled

Al Stohlman's "How to make Holsters" Pattern/Instruction book might also be a worthwhile addition to your leather working library. Available from Tandy and others like Amazon.

Paul

Old 04-05-2014, 10:02 PM
Skilled

Rockhound, I know this post is over a year old but would like to hear if you bought the book and is it worth it?

I am very interested in making some holsters as well as the sheaths I am making for my knives. I have found I actually like the leatherwork as much as or more than the knife making. I also stopped in to the Springfield Leather store in Springfield, MO on the way down to the Arkansas Custom Knife Show and I was very impressed with their store and the company. I bought a side of Hermann Oak tooling leather and some stingray skins and also shark skin. They are top quality leathers and highly recommend them to anyone, including their mail order. They also custom cut to what you need.

Thanks.

Tony Z
Kansas City, MO

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 04-05-2014, 11:26 PM
Super Moderator

A longtime member on here, Chuck Burrows, has an excellent DVD called Frontier Holsters with Chuck Burrows, and another DVD on sheathmaking that is excellent.

Will Ghormley (www.willghormley-maker.com) has posted some amazing tutorials on some of his holsters (he made a lot for the movies, including 4:10 to Yuma). Tandy sells his patterns - most of which are western, but he has some nice 1911 patterns as well.

Both of those guys do amazing work and have done a lot to help others learn the craft.

You can also do some digging on leatherworker.net. It's a well run site with tons of good information.

Old 04-06-2014, 06:02 AM

Hey there Rockhound, figured you were still underground or under snow. Hope you're doing well.
Can't go wrong following the advice here. All gifted folks.

You could go simple and still get a very secure carry for an auto with just one scrap piece of leather.
Go further down in this forum and check out the thread "RLo Inspired". I was very surprised at how well it carries any of my autos securely. Very easy to construct and not much leather waste if you don't like it.
Best thing is, when you remove your weapon to go into certain places it doesn't throw up a red flag to the casual observer. Nice flat panel to do a little custom tooling on as well.
I have about retired all my other holsters since I started wearing one of these.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 04-09-2014, 07:44 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Rockhound, I know this post is over a year old but would like to hear if you bought the book and is it worth it?
Hi Tony,
I did indeed get the book from Springfield Leather and it definitely appears to be worth it but I cannot absolutely confirm that as I have not attempted a holster with the patterns yet. Springfield set me up with a wholesale account a while back and I've been going leather crazy.... belts, etc. Currently busy making a sheath for a knife that I made for my Mom's birthday.
Not positive, but pretty sure that I'll want to get a blue-gun before I tackle the holster project. The Glock pattern supplied is for a Model 17 and should work well for the Model 23.
Carl thanks, I'll check out the RLo inspired thread!

Last edited by rockhound; 04-09-2014 at 09:11 AM.

Tags
axe, beginning, custom, handle, hawk, holster, holsters, how to, instruction, knife, knife making, knives, leather, leather die, leather tooling, make, making, pattern, post, sheath, sheaths, simple, tanning, tools