MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

Bolsters and Guards - 416, 410, ???

So I have read a few posts and have not really come up with a difinitive answer. So, what is the material of choice and why do you like it? I have been using 1/4" scales and have a hard time finding steel at that thickness. Any recommendations on where to find what you are using?
Old 07-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Steel Addict

Personally I use 416 mostly, but for the sole fact its what I've found the easiest to get. And if I'm not mistaken I usually get it from Jantz (maybe usaknifemakers) and I do believe they carry 1/4 metal for bolsters.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:37 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

If you are having trouble finding 1/4" steel for bolsters at the knife supply places that might be a clue for you to say, "Hmmmm.....I wonder if that means most guys wouldn't use steel that thick for bolsters?"

Yes, they may carry 416 in that thickness but maybe intended more for large guards than for bolsters. What I'm saying is that bolsters that thick will add too much weight to the knife - clunky as all get out. And, if your scales are 1/4" and your bolsters are 1/4" then what kind of shape does your handle have? Sounds like a straight stick to me, maybe oval, maybe round but shapeless and that isn't usually all that good. The bolsters can (and in most cases should) be thinner than the scales, just shape the front of the scales to meet the thinner bolster. Might want to shape the rear of the scales too while you're at it so that there is a little more shape to the handle. Shape is good because it helps your hand stay on the handle instead of slipping forward when the knife gets used hard.

Personally, I don't like bolsters because they are usually heavy and can be knocked off the knife too easily. But, a lot of guys like them so if you plan to use them think about the points I made and size and shape your bolsters so that they blend well with your design and don't let them turn your knife into an anchor ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-26-2013, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
If you are having trouble finding 1/4" steel for bolsters at the knife supply places that might be a clue for you to say, "Hmmmm.....I wonder if that means most guys wouldn't use steel that thick for bolsters?"

Yes, they may carry 416 in that thickness but maybe intended more for large guards than for bolsters. What I'm saying is that bolsters that thick will add too much weight to the knife - clunky as all get out. And, if your scales are 1/4" and your bolsters are 1/4" then what kind of shape does your handle have? Sounds like a straight stick to me, maybe oval, maybe round but shapeless and that isn't usually all that good. The bolsters can (and in most cases should) be thinner than the scales, just shape the front of the scales to meet the thinner bolster. Might want to shape the rear of the scales too while you're at it so that there is a little more shape to the handle. Shape is good because it helps your hand stay on the handle instead of slipping forward when the knife gets used hard.

Personally, I don't like bolsters because they are usually heavy and can be knocked off the knife too easily. But, a lot of guys like them so if you plan to use them think about the points I made and size and shape your bolsters so that they blend well with your design and don't let them turn your knife into an anchor ...
Excellent advise Ray. I have not done a knife with bolsters or a guard yet. What do you shoot for on initial thickness for a guard on a knife?
Old 07-26-2013, 08:52 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
I keep a supply of 3/16 and 1/4 416 on hand at all times. What I use depends mainly on the size of the knife. I also keep 3/32 and 1/8 416 pin stock on hand and use what seems appropriate in size for the bolster and the thickness of the blade.

I source my 416 at Tru Grit. They almost always have a supply of various sizes 416.

Also I only keep one alloy on hand to avoid any confusion.

Regard
Steve Hostetler
Old 07-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I do it pretty much as Steve does. Even with 1/4" stock in a guard (not bolsters) you have less than half as much steel as you would with bolsters. Also, the part that hangs down below the handle is usually thinned and shaped so there again is less metal. A well shaped guard adds very little weight to the knife and what it does add is in the correct place to aid the balance of the knife (at least most of the time) ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Steel Addict

I also have some 1/4 stock, but like mentioned above, when I do use it for bolsters (on large knives normally) it still gets ground down quite a bit so it would very rarely ever measure anything close to 1/4 in the thickest area.

Tags
bee, blade, bolsters, design, guard, guards, hand, handle, knife, knife supply, knives, made, material, scales, steel, supply, what kind