MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-28-2013, 09:14 PM

need some suggestions for a handle

First post....................

I acquired this knife blade as shown in the picture. I would like some suggestions as to how to finish it. I'm a noob to knifemaking, but not to woodworking. Any suggestions are appreciated.

I'm finishing up my first knife - made from a file I had laying around. I'll post pics when it's done.

Great forum here! Thanks in advance.

Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Standard stick tang design. Look in any knife magazine for examples and ideas, doesn't matter what the blade looks like, just look at the handles.

Some type of metal guard goes on first - small square hole that will slip over the tang and as much or as little of a guard as you want.

Wood handle, just a long hole through the block of wood. Shape the wood any way you like (look at the pictures in the magazines, catalogs, or websites).

A metal pommel/butt cap threaded to match the tang. Screw it on and shape it. Tightening the pommel firms up the whole handle. For the final assembly most of us would fill the handle hole with epoxy.

Most knife supply places sell pre-made (but roughly shaped) guards and pommels, you can buy them or make your own. That handle design is pretty close to as easy as it gets. You should do any metal finishing before you attach the handle. Sharpening the blade is the very LAST step - don't work on a sharp knife.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Tags
bf3, blade, block, design, easy, file, first post, guard, guards, handle, how to, image, knife, knife supply, knifemaking, made, make, make your own, noob, post, sharpening, supply, tang