MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Enthusiast

"Baptism" Fighter

Some may wonder why "Baptism?" This is knife #238. Those who know my heritage know that like 728B, 2:38 is a well known numerical reference. If you could read the Bible in the pictures, you'd see it open to the second chapter of Acts, the 38th verse of which reads, "Peter replied, repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will recieve the gift of the Holy Spirit." Repentence is a call to change your ways, to turn from the way you were going and to head in the opposite direction, which is exactly what I'd do if someone were in front of me wielding this knife. The knife is 12 1/4 inches overall, with a 7 inch blade of 1080 carbon steel satin finished to 1000 grit. The guard is wrought iron with G10 and stainless steel spacers. The handle is stabilized spalted maple burl. This is a knife of several "firsts." It's my first fighter style with a double guard, my first domed pins, and my first time to use wrought iron fittings. For those who don't know about wrought iron, it's etched to bring out the natural inclusions that appear as texture on the guard. To etch the guard requires that the entire handle be completely finished before final glue-up, which requires bedding the tang the use of alignment pins. All that adds up to alot of time and hard work. This knife will be available at the Lone Star Knife Expo in Dallas, TX April 13-14, 2013.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Steel Addict

Beautiful knife I hope to have a knife of that personal accomplishment some day. And on the seventh god said let there be knife.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 PM
Skilled

Beautiful, simplicity it's self.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:42 PM

I really like the handle.
Old 02-28-2013, 09:19 PM
Skilled

Beautiful knife! I really love the wrought iron. I have an anchor chin link of wrought iron and am going to forge some guards out of that soon. What kind of wrought iron is it (wagon wheel, chain, etc)? And also what did you etch it in and for how long. Any tips for working with wrought iron? Thanks for posting.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 03-13-2013, 10:00 AM
Enthusiast

Tony,
My brother gave me the wrought, not sure where it originated. I etched it in 4:1 ferric chloride for three or four short sessions totalling about 30 minutes.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:15 PM
Skilled

Jason, much appreciated! Again, beautiful work.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918

Tags
blade, chain, chris, etch, forge, g10, guard, guards, handle, iron, knife, pins, spacers, stainless steel, steel, tang, tips, what kind