MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM
Enthusiast

What do yall as makers propose? The sooner I get the grinder, the faster I can start making, which would make me lean towards the KMG Platten. So I can do flat ground blades. Sell them, buy a Grizzly contact wheel and send it out to a friend to have it absolutely balance. Then buy a small wheel attatchment. At $750, I'll ask my family for the loan, make 7 knives, harden temper them. Pay that debt, then all out start making knives.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:12 PM
Steel Addict

How many knives have you made?
Old 12-29-2011, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quite a few. I'd be far more productive with a better more-powerful grinder, (not the blasted Harbor Freight 1 by 30 that bogs down easily). A 2 by 72 would enable me to alter almost all variables of manufacture from an immense variety of belts to platen size. Its hard to keep a constant area with a belt not tracking true, and bogging down.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:11 AM
Registered

Build it yourself grinder

I build a lot of itmes for Hollowood (mostly cars and bikess) and have for years, and recently was asked to build some prop Bowie knives, so I started with the build of a knife grinder 2" x 72" one hp and it turned out great! a friend now wants me to build one for him, and I thought if you wanted me to I could post the build here, with photos, it is really quite simple and I also will be cutting all the parts out on our CNC Plasma cutter and can sell the blanks if anyone wants them? it will save you all a lot of money and labor over cutting them yourself. Let me knwo if this is of intrest.
Thanks Eddie Paul

Last edited by Eddie Paul; 02-07-2012 at 12:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Tags
art, blade, bowie, custom, knife, knife making, knifemaker, knives, material, mount, no-weld or kmg 10, post