MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-24-2003, 02:29 PM
Master

scale?

hey all,
quick question, i just got my blade and liner back from ht (see Help big oversite thread) and as always there is alot of scale (i guess thats what it is) on the blade no big deal ill sand it off but the liner has alot of file work on it and i was hoping to keep that as is is there any kind of "bath" i can give it to remove the scale, i though i heard something once about vinager?

Bill

Old 12-24-2003, 03:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

I guess we're talking about a liner lock folder with a stainless liner then? If that's right, then you just discovered another reason why so many people use titanium. (Oooooh, I couldn't resist, sorry).

Anyway, use any solution you want but only two things can happen (this is my opinion, I don'y use solutions for that, maybe somebody knows something that works and will say so soon). One, the solution will remove the light flaky material and maybe brighten up what's left a little, then you'll have to sand it some to finish. Two, the solution will remove all the scale perfectly leaving clean metal - and then some of the clean metal will be removed too from every side and part of the liner and that might not be good.

What I would do is try a dull 400 grit belt and sand lightly. If there is no real pitting in the metal that should be about all you need and it won't remove the filework if you work carefully. If you have to get more agressive to clean it up then do so a little at a time.

Sanding will remove metal from the high spots first (the scale) but a solution, if it removes metal, will remove it from the high spots and the low spots at the same time which will then require more sanding ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 12-24-2003, 04:01 PM
Master

see and i was going to venture into ti for my next folder but now just to stay strong i wont no really i think ill try it and see if i like it. well ill try the 400 grit and just do alittle filing if needed thx ray

Old 12-24-2003, 10:15 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
I don't know how vinagar will work on stainless, never touch the stuff. I do know it works great on high carbon and won't eat away the steel if you don't leave it in too long. Too long meaning days or weeks. The best thing about vinagar is it is harmless and can be kept inside close where you can keep an eye on it. Just find a container a water glass. a shallow dish, a cereal bowl ect, long enough or deep enough. Use whatever vinagar mamma has in the cupboard and cover piece completely. After an hour, remove and wash under running water. Scrub lightly with a 3m scrub pad. (Be sure to hide it from the wife after) If all the scale is not gone, rinse and repeat. I descale in an old electric skillet with vinagar set on warm. It works faster.

Old 12-25-2003, 10:16 PM
RIP 11-09-2011

Black color

I hand sand with 220 then 400 grit with a good backing, it will strip it off evenly. Sand one direction then the other to insure all scratches are out from the previous grit before continuing.
A few minutes per side(while you watch a movie) and it is ready to buff.
If the spring seems tough, temper it at 450 for an hour, then try it. You can raise it 25 degrees at a time until you get it right where you want it.(440C makes a strong spring)
That color is only surface deep.
Be blessed.

Tags
blade, knife