MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 04-18-2017, 08:07 AM

Really great knives (3 & 4)! It seems like the old stag bark had a reddish hue to it that you don't see on today's stag. I love that color! I have a circa late 40's 3-6 that I've been waiting a sheath for. It's been several years now. Some idiot (or a 3 year old) sharpened it. Otherwise it is near dead mint. Here are some pics. My photography skills do not do it justice:

I've almost given up looking for a sheath. Stranger things have happened, though.

Best,

Ron
Old 04-19-2017, 12:35 AM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
Wow what a beauty.
Ronnie
Old 04-19-2017, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, Ron that is a gorgeous Model 3, among your many. If I might ask, how do you date your knife as a late 40's vintage? I have read that nickel silver pins were only used up to a certain date. Is that one of the criteria that you use? Also, if it is stamped with a name that can be researched in the Randall archives, as I learned from that ivory Model 8 from several years back that you helped me with. I'm trying to learn, and it seems that so much of dating an old Randall comes from the sheath, if original. What would be the characteristics to look for on a knife by itself? Thank you Ron.

Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 AM

Thanks. There is one primary "forty era" tell on the knives themselves. It is whether the knife blade has a "flat" running the length. The flat is created by the horizontal edge grind line not intersecting with the false edge grind. My last photo has the best visual example of this. I believe your Model 3 has it as well. It's just harder to see because of the lighting glare. This flat went away by ~ 1950. I believe NiAg pins were used for only a few years on just some knives with 1950 being the central year. Note that the first offering of NiAg hilts was in the 1948 catalog. I have not seen this alloy used for any purpose on any knife prior to 1947. Etched name: I will answer your question in a PM. Let me know if any.

Best,
Old 04-27-2017, 01:33 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you very much for that information BoBlade. Exactly what I was looking for.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:29 PM
Skilled

Will hunt, that is a beautiful 3-6 pinned stag Hunter that you have! Great overall package, Heiser sheath too.
Ron is the man on those Hunters, and is very generous with his time and hard earned knowledge. Always willing to help.
Ron, with that Hunter being so pristine, near dead mint, that narrows your options I suspect. I wonder how it ever got separated from it's sheath?
Regards, Sam
Old 05-11-2017, 10:41 AM

Thanks for your kind words, Sam. One could apply that description to you as well.

Yes, my chances are pretty slim to find a period sheath in matching condition. I got the knife off of ebay maybe 2-3 years ago. It came paired with a nondescript sheath that I still have floating around here somewhere. The reason it was divorced from the sheath? Lost in the mist of time. If it was a Model 7, it would become my new user. As is, it is just too large to deftly handle the job of cleaning fish. I've faced worse problems

Best,
Old 05-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Skilled

I will keep an eye out for you on that sheath as well. As we have discussed, the hunt is more fun than the days after the aquisition😀
With some of the items you have acquired over the years, I have no doubt that it will find you eventually.
Sam
Old 05-13-2017, 07:49 AM

Thanks, Sam.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 PM
Enthusiast

Here are a few Model 3's. The first two are low "S" 3-6's with finger-grooved stag, and ivory. The ivory knife also has a #6 grind. The last one is a beautiful 3-6 fighter, with nickel silver double hilt, and gorgeous pinned stag.

Old 08-29-2018, 12:55 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a Model 3-5 that I used last year to dress and butcher my whitetail buck. I imagine that the gentleman named on the knife, "Bones Lockard", put most of the lovely patina on this knife, and I am very happy to add to it. This one also has an odd spacer stack, with an extra white.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:08 PM
Skilled

1940's Hunter

Here is an incredible 1940's Hunter for Ron Matthews to check out! Finest one that I have ever owned/seen!

Old 08-20-2019, 12:22 PM

Hi Bill,

That's a gorgeous knife and sheath! The shop only offered a 5 1/2" version for a short time after the war ended. I hope you enjoy it for a long time...

Best,

Ron
Old 08-21-2019, 07:07 PM
Skilled

Ahhhh…...it's listed on my website AND eBay…….lol
Old 08-23-2019, 11:26 AM

Ahhh but I got one already from Steve Z. a few years ago:

https://www.sharpinvestments.net/pro...8-added-61215/

It's like the day it was made!

Tags
a, bee, blade, forge, grind, handle, handles, hunter, ivory, john, knife, knives, micarta, photography, pins, post, randall, rare, reference, sheath, silver, spacers, stag, wwii