MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

A surface grinder won't help you taper the tang. You taper a tang the same way you taper your blade when you want a distal taper. Takes practice. I'm not sure its really worth the effort on a small knife ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-01-2017, 05:21 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1965 View Post
Making mine from O1. Not sure on the handle yet. I have the blade profiled and hollow ground. Bolsters will be brass. Have the brass cut and dovetailed.still need to shape them though. Trying to figure the best way to taper the tang. Wish I had a surface grinder

hollow grind out the interior of the tang, then itll be easier to taper it down to where you want it.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
A surface grinder won't help you taper the tang. You taper a tang the same way you taper your blade when you want a distal taper. Takes practice. I'm not sure its really worth the effort on a small knife ...
Seen a video where a guy shimmed up the knife. Effectively making the knife sit at an angle while the surface grinder ground what would end being a taper. What you shimmed the first side would need to be double for the second side. Seemed quick and easy

Last edited by squigly1965; 02-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by squigly1965 View Post
Seen a video where a guy shimmed up the knife. Effectively making the knife sit at an angle while the surface grinder ground what would end being a taper. What you shimmed the first side would need to be double for the second side. Seemed quick and easy
all fine if you say...... HAVE A SURFACE GRINDER.

I don't. plus no need to fiddle around trying to make the precise angled shims.
Old 02-01-2017, 06:33 PM

Yeah, I was actually silly enough to try that once upon a time. Might be OK if you were a trained machinist but for us mere mortals 'quick and easy' isn't quite how I would describe the experience.

And, that's why I suggest to anyone who wants to be a knife maker to never listen to a machinist as they will nearly always choose a machinist solution to a problem that can be solved more quickly and easily by hand. We are trying to make knives by hand, after all even if we do use power assisted tools.

Loveless tapered all his tangs and made a video of it. I saw it and all he did was hold the knife butt down on the platen and grind from the butt to the guard area where he wanted the taper to stop. Simple, and quick. Just takes a little practice, about the same as doing a flat grind on a blade except the knife is held vertically...

Old 02-02-2017, 01:20 PM
Enthusiast

if you guys don't mind I would like to participate in this kith, not sure about the hollow grind as my grizzly is mounted so that I cannot get to the bottom wheel, it may have to be a flat grind for me, but I will see what I can do to fix that.
E-mail sent Ray.

Thanks, Carl
Old 02-02-2017, 07:22 PM
Skilled

I'm trying to figure out how you "hid" your contact wheel on the grizzly........

unless you swapped out the 10" for a 2"........ or reconfigured it to be a drive motor for a customized KMG style flat platen.

anywho...... give the hollow grind a try the best you can. itll be fun.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:34 PM
Enthusiast

damon, I built a metal stand in front of the wheel for a grinding table but it also supports my exhaust system that pulls the dust away, all of this is built into what I call the outhouse in my garage, the purpose was to keep as much dust contained as possible, it is sided, has a metal roof and of course a half moon on the door, the room works great for grinding, but does not allow me to turn my grinder so I can use the wheel, wish I would have thought about that during the build, may have to change things up, but that would be a summer project.

Carl
Old 02-03-2017, 09:37 AM
Guru

I don't know if any of you guys have seen it. I saw this awhile back somewhere and have no clue where I saw it but I am curious if any one else has seen something similar. bassicly this guy made a surface grinder attachment for a KMG...in the video it seemed to work ok but I am sure it took a ton of work and adjustments to get it right... but if I remember right you know how the small wheel attachment the belt forms the shape of a wide V around that small wheel but there is a attachment that involves another wheel that makes that V tighter so it can get into small areas with out having the slack around it mess things up...well this surface grinder attachment used the same kinda thing he had a much smaller wheel where the big wheel would go probilly a 4in or some where around there but used another small wheel that would pull the slack up and out of the way...then it was just a simple cross slide table (I am sure a cross slide vise could be substituted) under the wheel. I hope I am kinda explaining this right I really wish I could find the video ill look a lil more and post it if I can find it...but I am trying to explain from what I remember in my head (wich I am sure all of you know by now doesn't like cooperating with me all the time) but I saw this over 6 months ago so my memory is a lil fuzzy.....I am sure with enough head aches and adjusting this can be made to work pretty good but is it worth the effort? anyone seen this?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM

Not sure if I've seen that video but Travis Wiertz makes a surface grinding attachment for the grinders he makes. http://www.traviswuertz.com/
Old 02-03-2017, 02:07 PM
Skilled

I believe youre talking about this....

http://www.traviswuertz.com/?product...chment-for-kmg

dandy idea.... I want one, and itll be a LOT cheaper than a surface grinder, but itll not be in my budget any time soon.
Old 02-03-2017, 03:08 PM

I think I'd at least price an actual surface grinder before I put out the money. Grizzly has one for $200 more than that and HF may be less. Anyway, do your homework before you spend that kind of money ...

Old 02-03-2017, 04:47 PM
Skilled

most surface grinders ive been finding are $3000-$8000 or more.
:-/
Old 02-03-2017, 05:14 PM

The Grizzly like the one I had is now $2000. Apparently, HF no longer makes one ....

Old 02-03-2017, 06:23 PM
Guru

damon.....I think I have seen that one too but its not the one I was talking about I spent about a hour today looking for the video.....it wasn't something that was for sale more of a video describing how they made it so you can make it on your own....imagine what you posted take away everything but the smaller wheel....then another small wheel (like 1/2in) I forget how its mounted but it lifts the slack part of the belt to the bottom and behind the main wheel it gets the slack up and out of the way then he had a cross slide table that wasn't attached just sits on the floor and has height adjustment....again I am sure I am forgetting parts I saw it along time ago and I do remember it was limited I think you only had the ability to grind about a foot maybe a foot and a half.....but most knives are small enough....but again is it worth the effort???

Tags
2017, blade, blades, build, choose, easy, finish, flat, flat grind, grind, heat, heat treat, hollow grind, kit, knife, knives, kydex, leather, scale, sheath, show, simple, small, steel, trade