MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-11-2013, 03:38 PM

Any particular brand of file to use???

Hello All!
Yes I am one of those pestery newbies here that knows nothing about knife making but I have read and read on this forum as well as on many different other forums. I am really intriguded about this hobby. I have a 13 years old son that loves to hunt and fish and he loves knives. I am trying to find us a hobby to share for us both to enjoy.
I would like to start on a simple little knife project that my son and I can do using hand files. I would eventually like to be able to getting into the belt sanding and maybe even some forging but that is a long way down the road. One has to crawl before they can walk.
My question is what particular brand of single mill files do yall recommend? Also I figure the longer stroke the better so I was looking at some 12 to 14 inch files. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and I really enjoy this forum. This is my first post but I have read for hours and hours learning all kind of neat stuff. Thanks for your time and have wonderful day!!!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Only one word if you want a file that is worth buying.......Nicholson

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM

Okay...Now I have another question. I know that you are suppose to use a single mill file using a forward motion stroke. Is it permitable to use a double mill bastard file while profiling the blade to cut down on all the filing? After that begin to clean it up using the single mill.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Almost anything is permissible if it works for you ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-12-2013, 06:22 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by add147 View Post
Okay...Now I have another question. I know that you are suppose to use a single mill file using a forward motion stroke. Is it permitable to use a double mill bastard file while profiling the blade to cut down on all the filing? After that begin to clean it up using the single mill.
thats what i have ebeen doing. seems to work ok. I have been draw filing at 90degrees.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:05 AM

Probably ok now....the File Police were decommissioned on page 1244 of OB-Care.
Use what ever means gets you there, just remember to never draw the file backward.
You can really speed things up using a sidegrinder to bulk out your primary bevels. Takes a bit of practice but gets you to the filing stage a lot faster. Just remember to stop grinding just before you go too far.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-12-2013, 08:53 PM
Skilled

Not sure what your access to Nicholson Files but these guys had great deals on files

http://shop.vendio.com/satco/item/879197718/index.html

I'd highly recommend a file card as well
Old 02-12-2013, 10:13 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostoglotov View Post
Not sure what your access to Nicholson Files but these guys had great deals on files

http://shop.vendio.com/satco/item/879197718/index.html

I'd highly recommend a file card as well
Thanks for the info! I greatly apprecaite it. I did not see any long files like a 14 or 16 inch. My thinking is if I got a 16 inch file I would have a longer stroke therefore my file time might be reduced. I know that I am not going to be able to avoid the tedious time factor on filing by hand. I know it is something that will require hours of work but I think it will teach my son to appreciate the reward of hard work and patients to produce something worth while.

Any thoughts or opinions???
Old 02-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Skilled

For roughing out the profile it might speed things up a bit, but it might be harder to control, especially for a 13 year old. For draw filing, the length really doesnt matter.

I'd recommend 1/2 rounds in Bastard, Second and Smooth cuts (This will allow you to do things like finger guards in full tang knifes).

I'd pick up a couple of round (larger) and chainsaw files (smaller diameter) and a tri-square

I think you be pleasantly surprised on how fast you can remove metal with a file
Old 02-13-2013, 01:07 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kostoglotov View Post
For roughing out the profile it might speed things up a bit, but it might be harder to control, especially for a 13 year old. For draw filing, the length really doesnt matter.

I'd recommend 1/2 rounds in Bastard, Second and Smooth cuts (This will allow you to do things like finger guards in full tang knifes).

I'd pick up a couple of round (larger) and chainsaw files (smaller diameter) and a tri-square

I think you be pleasantly surprised on how fast you can remove metal with a file
So you suggest using some half rounds instead of the flat files?
Old 02-13-2013, 06:44 PM
Steel Addict

half round files have a flat side two files in one the only problem is most half rounds are double cut
Old 02-13-2013, 08:38 PM
Skilled

I'd recommend it based solely on cost. If you can get both, buy both
Old 02-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
If I may add my opinion to thisw body of knowledge, About 20 years ago a ran across a file made by the "SIMONDS" Folks. I use the "Multi-Kut" style. I purchase them by the dozen and they work really well for me. They are a bit pricy but are superior to the Nicholsen and diamond brands in my opinion. I have tried several brands from the Baltic Nations but the fall short to the Simonds. They have a diamond shape cut in the teeth that dispurse the cut metal and they last a good bit longer than the others. Google up on the internet if you want to try them.

Larry Peterson

Tags
art, blade, brand, chainsaw, diamond, file, files, first post, flat, forging, full tang, grinding, guards, hand, hobby, knife, knife making, knives, making, post, project, simple, tang, teach