MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 03-29-2017, 04:59 PM

Interested from NW Washington

Interested in picking up a new hobby and like the idea of getting into knife making. I'm not looking to make money with it, though I wouldn't opposed to making a few bucks here and there with it. I haven't started anything yet other than research. I look forward to learning what I don't know I don't know.
Old 03-29-2017, 06:23 PM
Enthusiast

Welcome aboard Scotty, you came to the right place for good, helpful information, its the reason I joined.

Carl
Old 03-29-2017, 09:03 PM
Guru

A lot of information on this forum, best one I've found. Been at others where not as much that is as easily accessed. So where do you want to start? I have been a hobbyist since about 1992. I've made a few dollars over the years. Just make a couple a month, but it's fun for me. Learned a lot over that time and still do because of the knowledgeable folks here. So welcome ScottyB.
Old 03-30-2017, 08:41 AM

Welcome!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-30-2017, 11:56 AM

As cheesy as it sounds, I started to get interested because of a #### TV show (that seems to take forever to put out new episodes). The idea of just beating a piece of metal into submission seems somewhat therapeutic. As I do more research, I'm of the mindset of having to start with metal removal as I checked my shop again this morning and there is still no anvil in there. One of my earlier jobs was working in a precision sheet metal plant and I spent many hours in front of a belt sander. While I am not overly artistic, I am not looking to reinvent the knife. I just need to find something to keep me busy when I am not working.

I tried my hand at wood working for a while but just couldn't come up with small enough projects to keep busy. Again, my lack of artistic ability and creativity got the better of me.

With Knife making I figure I can combine the two. When I can come up with an anvil I would like to start beating metal. It may lead to something useful, it may just get beat again. I figure with some practice I could come up with some Christmas gifts and whatnot.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:06 PM

Perfect mindset with which to start this hobby!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 03-30-2017, 06:30 PM
Steel Addict

What's not to like it's a boys dream come true, you get to play with fire, beat on things with a hammer and make sharp pointy doohickeys...

Old 03-31-2017, 01:49 AM
Guru

There's a farrier supply thread where I mentioned some farrier anvils and had pointed out to me there are better options, take a look at it.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:05 PM

I did see that thread. As I'm trying to do this on a tight budget (STOP LAUGHING!) an anvil will have to go on the back burner for now.
Old 03-31-2017, 06:40 PM
Guru

Not laughing Scotty. I had to wait a while and a few months ago I bought a 2x48" new Dayton belt sander for an on sale price of $228 including shipping and it weighed 70 lbs. I thought I was getting a 3/4 HP motor, but it came with a 1 HP TEFC, totally enclosed fan cooled and the fan blows right across the bottom of the belt with a lot of power too. It is too fast on speed, 4500 sfpm, but I can live with it and use my slower 1x42 for handles. You can get a 1x30 or 42 belt sander, but I'd go with a 2x42 (which can take 1x42 belts too) you can get from Sears, Palmgren sells a nice one for $200 (has a 6" disc too) and Tru-Grit oddly sells more belts for the 2x42 than it does for the 2x48. Link for Tru-grit btw.
https://trugrit.com/index.php?main_p...74bfb94c7f3a22 Zoro sells the 2x42 Palmgren for $202, shipping included, link.
https://www.zoro.com/dayton-beltdisc...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

If I'm good at anything I'm good at finding bargains and best prices. You can start with a Harbor Freight 1x30, but you will get tired of it after one blade. I would rather use a cheap 3x21 hand held belt sander clamped to a table than a 1x30 to hog metal off a piece of steel. A 2x72 is the prefered grinder, but best ones are expensive, but you can get a Grizzly for just under $600 with shipping included directly from Grizzly.com. It seems to have tracking probs, but guys around here can tell you how to fix it.
There's a synopsis of some grinder options Scotty, but by no means all, just most of the best cheap ones.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:45 AM

If I am able to get a Grizzly at some point the good news is that I don't have to pay for shipping. I am 30 miles from their Bellingham store. In fact, I was just in there the other day looking at that grinder. All in good time I guess.
Old 04-01-2017, 08:38 PM
Guru

Scotty you are not too far from the illustrious Ray Rogers who dwells in the Cascade mountains near Wauconda WA. Give him a PM and ask if he would show you his shop. He also has many inexpensive videos for sale that everyone raves about how good they are. Always a helpful fellow and has a Sunday Night Chat room, just click on the link tomorrow at 5:00pm pst and erase the numbers and letters in the tab and add your own. We would be delighted to hear from you. Many experienced makers show up from time to time.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:28 PM

I would like to show up for the chat, but I sleep during that time frame. Such is the curse of working graveyard. Visiting Ray's shop would be cool and I would be interested but it isn't as 'around the corner' as you might think. I mapped it out to 250 miles. Not saying it isn't doable, but it will definitely take some planning.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:03 PM
Guru

You do sheetmetal? I was in sheet metal, aerospace and general for many many years and am a TIG welder too. Last job was in a machine shop and whenever they got sheetmetal parts I pretty much did them. They also made me the heat treater too when they found out I made knives, my instructions were just follow the book's directions on HT.lol Learned a lot. Was a good thing I was on good terms with Hinderliter HT in Oklahoma City where I used to live.
Old 04-02-2017, 04:39 PM

I haven't done sheet metal in 25 years or so (####! I am not THAT old.). I did aerospace and general as well. Spent many hours at a blt sander deburring parts. Did some shear work and a bunch of assembly work. Just before the layoffs hit I was just starting to get some CNC press brake experience. Like I said, that is a long way in the rear view but I'm no stranger hours in front of a belt.

Tags
anvil, art, bee, belt, belt sander, chris, christmas, fire, hammer, hand, hobby, knife, knife making, made, make, making, metal, play, sander, sharp, shop, show, small, supply, wood