MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:47 AM
Skilled

Maple Skinner Scandi Grind

Here's a small Scandi Grind Maple Skinner I made in the the last few weeks.The blade is made from an old cross-cut saw. The overall size of this Knife is 7 1/2"
The handle is 4 1/4"....Thanks for Looking!!

Frank

Old 05-30-2011, 09:51 PM
Hall of Famer

Nice work Frank! Interesting design--the edge doesn't generally follow the line of the handle, yet doesn't have a lot of belly/curve either.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Steel Addict

Some of my first blades were made from the steel of a two man saw. It's good carbon steel, it will hold an edge and it's not hard to bring it back to a razor sharp edge on a stone, when it dulls down!

Did you HT?
I was told my another experienced maker that if I didn't get it too hot when working it, it would not be necessary to heat treat! The steel would be just about as hard as it could be got with a HT!
I had to wrap the blades in a wet rag to stop heat transfer and spot anneal to be able to be able to drill the steel for handles and such!

Nice looking knife, the design should work out well as a skinner and a flesher!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes, the man who talked to you was right that if you don't get the steel too hot while cuting or grinding, at least not over about 300 degrees, you will not change the temper on the steel. But first of all you will need to know what the starting hardness is and if that is the hardness you want for the optimal hardness for the knife that you are making. If the hardness in the steel is not what you want you will have to retemper the blade if it is too hard or reharden and temper if it is too soft.

Doug

Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 PM
Skilled

Nice work, Frank. I love the grain in the maple. I owe a skinner to a guy who gave me a box full of deer antlers, and I'm tempted to use one of your designs - seeing as I don't have a clue what to look for in a skinner, and yours always look so amazing. I offered another kind, but he's stuck on getting a skinner.

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 07-12-2015, 07:12 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJStricker View Post
Nice work Frank! Interesting design--the edge doesn't generally follow the line of the handle, yet doesn't have a lot of belly/curve either.
In skinning a Animal, you use the tip of the Knife, as much as the widest part of the blade.

Old 07-13-2015, 06:21 AM

>>Did you HT?
I was told my another experienced maker that if I didn't get it too hot when working it, it would not be necessary to heat treat! The steel would be just about as hard as it could be got with a HT! <<

As with all tools, not all are created equal....
If it's your personal knife, you are the only one that needs to be happy with it. However, if you sell or gift the knife you should be more concerned with the actual integrity of the heat treatment which greatly influences the performance. One "Bad Blade" comment will far out weigh 1000 "Great Blades", when it comes to your reputation as a knife maker.

It's a big risk yet so simple to avoid. I recommend, on unverified steels (mystery steels if you will), to always do one or two test blades - as you would the blade you intend to finish for use - whether you choose to heat treat or not. Test these hard and at least one to destruction. You still will not know for sure what steel you have but at least you will know it's suitability. You can then adjust thermal cycling if needed before putting all that work into a finished knife that goes out the door.
While traditionally most crosscut saw and large circular saw blades were/are considered old school high grade hi-carb steel, not all are. There have been and are too many mfgr's out there. I have discovered several - with no discernable markings - to be of not so great quality steel, definitely not responsive to standard thermal cyclings know for most forgable hi-carb steels. This was not obvious without testing. Could have been a big OOPS had I not.

CC - not picking at you, but even the best quality saw blades are not left in High Hard condition. All are tempered drawn back down to a lower hardness (relatively speaking). Otherwise they would shatter or break on impact or flex. The big circ's have to be tempered for balance, as when they ramp up they go through stages of harmonic changes warping or dishing until they reach harmonic balance at cutting speed.
The cross cuts - aka misery whips & gator backs - are in pretty much the same boat, in that they have to be able to flex as they are being pulled through the wood or they too would break.

Please do not misunderstand, lot of really fine old saw blade material out there and I use quite a lot of it.
However, I test every saw blade I cut up for knife blade material and re-heattreat the blades to my standards.....no exceptions.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-13-2015, 04:12 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crex View Post
However, I test every saw blade I cut up for knife blade material and re-heattreat the blades to my standards.....no exceptions.
I would have to 2nd this........

Old 07-15-2015, 11:08 PM

I like it. I have some maple glued up right now too. One of my favorites to work with. How did you finish the handle?
Old 07-19-2015, 02:43 PM
Steel Addict

Nice knife.

Tags
back, bee, blade, blades, choose, design, edge, handle, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, hot, image, knife, maple, material, sell, simple, skinning, steel, stone, tools, warping, wood