MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 12-17-2004, 11:11 PM

Is this a good deal?

I found a delta sander with a 1x30" belt and 5" disc sander for about 80$. I planned on using the sander to shape the pattern of my knives. Would a sander work good or am i better with something else. I dont have much money to spend but what do you guys recommend for me to use to shape the knives? I am new to all this stuff so i need to soak up as much information as possible. Thanks for all the help
Old 12-18-2004, 05:15 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
A lot of people disagree with the way I go about things, but that never stops me from shooting off my mouth. A 1x30 can be handy for handle shaping,and the disk can be helpfull in squaring up handle slabs. But, trying to grind an 8" bowie blade on a "wood sander" is a PITA! Those low hp. motors are just woefullly underpowered. If your heart is set on it, think about doing small blades to start with. Lots of folder makers use a 1x30. Also, some of them are easier to swap out motors on than others to soop em up. Knifekits.com has several good ideas to improve on them.
I have found that profiling a blade is much easier, faster and cheaper (ie:belts) on a hard wheel grinder. There used to be a mean old Bass turd on the forum that got banned. He came on and said he thought he could make a knife using a hard wheel. We all scoffed and chuckled, I guess making him mad enough to cuss us all out, which was not tolerated. Well, he went on to make some really nice looking, and big, bowies on that hard wheel grinder. When I picked my jaw up off the floor, I started rethinking my bias's and realized there is more than one way to skin a cat, and where there is a will, there is a way.
Don't tell nobody, but I have taken to grinding in most of my bevels on the hard wheel before switching to the belt. Thanks for letting me bend your ear. Welcome, and good luck, Roc

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 12-18-2004 at 05:19 AM. Reason: fix text
Old 12-19-2004, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

That's NOT a good price for a 1x30 sander. Grizzly carrys one for $49. I think Sears has one for about the same.

My father-in-law has a 1" sander and makes all sort of things on it - but he doesn't make knives. I agree with what Hammerdownnow had to say on the subject. (And, BTW, I'm one of those 'lot of people' who often disagree with Hammer! )

Old 12-19-2004, 09:22 AM
Hall of Famer

Jack, as long as we can agree on some things, we will get by somehow. I truely enjoyed our conversation, and hope you are right. You helped me thru a bad patch there.

Hey, look what I found while nosing around for a cheaper 1x30.
habor freight grinder
1x30
1x30 attachment ideas

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 12-19-2004 at 09:42 AM. Reason: add links
Old 12-19-2004, 07:20 PM

will the

habor freight grinder work to shape the knives? Also what do you guys use to shape your blades. Thanks
Old 12-20-2004, 02:02 AM
Hall of Famer

By shape, do you mean profile? Then yes, just very slow. It is more useful as a fine finisher for"sanding" the profile and evening up the handle/tang junction.

If I only wanted to spend 80 bucks, this would be the one I would get.
Grizzly grinder

Still not a steel hogger, but, mo' power than a 1/3 hp. The 2" belt will give you smoother less rippley bevels from having more surface in contact with the belt. Wider belt could cancel out the increased hp. from more friction tho. Comes with a 6" contact wheel it says. (I use to think I wanted to hollow grind.) Useing the contact wheel vertically is the most helpful to me.

The not agreeing referance before was aimed at knife making philosophy. Not being a fulltime maker, the need for speed does not affect me very much. The food on my table and my hourly wage does not depend on pumping them out in the most expediant manner. So, in that respect I can have 5 different knives on the bench and work on them as inspiration strikes. A hammer, file and sandpaper can get you the same goal, just not as fast. A nice soft piece of anealed steel does not file much harder that a piece of ebony.
A wood campfire and a good stiff breeze is as much as you need to get your steel soft enough.

A piece of found steel is much more of a rush to me than a store bought piece of 01. Trying to figure what it was in its last life, testing and experimenting with heat treats are all parts of my long learning curve. A full time maker just don't have time for such time wasting nonsense, or he has been there, done that, moved on. Some bladesmiths have come full circle. (not me, I am still a babe in the woods) Like the compound bow shooters who return to useing stick bows after taking bow shooting to its technical limits, they find more self satisfaction in a more primative way of doing things.... here I go rambling again.
I think I could make do with that 80 dollar grizz, but, for 200 more you could get this one, and grind down a Buick if you was a mind to.Grizzly knife grinder
...and if money was no object! Well, thats a horse of a different color.

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 12-23-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-23-2004, 08:53 AM
Hall of Famer

I guess Zack lost interest in this thread. That shouldn't stop me from rambling on and on.
I always like this tutorial. Jonsey (click) If you have a hankering to make a knife and are limited in tools, this artical can get you going right away. It has some really good simple solutions to common problems you encounter when first starting out.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator

Hammer, that is a great link! One of the Brazilians posted something similar showing how he makes a VERY fancy "Spanish style" knife with all sorts of cut-outs and done almost exactly like this. Really puts into perspective what is important in knifemaking, and it's not the amp rating on your tools.

As for disagreeing with you on occasion, Mark Twain said, "It's a difference of opinion that makes a horse race." The fact that we CAN discuss our different perspectives on things makes you A-OK in my book.

Old 12-23-2004, 09:39 AM
Hall of Famer

You could save some shipping charges and get to work this evening by running out to Sears and picking up this one before X-mas. I would tell the ol' lady I needed to run out toshop for her very special present. When I got back with the grinder I would say I desided that a handmade gift would mean more and that I thought I would make her a handmade, custom, one of a kind kitchen knife. So that everytime she held it she would think of me.

Grinder link (clickhere)

Old 12-23-2004, 09:59 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks Jack, Hard to get a good arguement going around here, everyone is so dang polite. haha. Also, it is hard to convey a dry sense of humor in type. I was wanting to ask you how you knew of Parma, Ohio? There are some great makers out there in Texas. Very sharing and caring folks. Have you been to visit any shops? I know it is a big state, but. Two I would like to visit are Bob Warner and Geno Osborn. Bob just has so many tips and tricks and Geno has helped me personally in the forums and with emails.

Old 12-23-2004, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Hammer - sent you a reply via email (before I get chewed on for changing the direction of this thread!)

Hey, I checked out this web site for another "New Post" and there are some pretty nice tutorials on it. Actually, they're not so much tutorials as pictorals showing the procss for making several different knives step-by-step.

http://www.aescustomknives.com.ar/

Pretty nice knife and sheath he has posted.

Old 02-09-2005, 08:45 AM
Enthusiast

I agree with Hammerdownnow

It's a rule that using the best tools makes the job easier. But remarkable things can be done with tools such as a basic hard-wheel grinder. Or even a hand-held bench grinder.
I worked for a oil field welder for 3 summers (when I was younger) and learned to do a lot with these tools. Yes, even grind knives from car leaf-springs with them. Even ground custom bowie knife blanks for customers. I never got a complaint on the finished product. A lot of work, yes. But sometimes you have more time than money!
Roger

My Site

Oh, yeh. I also looked at the Sears 2" belt grinder. 3/4 HP motor @ 3400 RPM for around $100. Certainly not a Burr King but it will get you started.

Last edited by peregrine; 02-09-2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Add about Sears 2" grinder

Tags
blade, knife, knife making, knives