MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 05-04-2019, 11:57 PM

Exclamation My Ontario SP1 Combat knife arrived today.

This was a bargain at $26.99 this alternative to the 1211 KaBar "Fighting Knife". The 1075 Carbon Steel heat treated to 57-59 HRC holds a good edge and has been engineered for hard use. The 1075 steel doesn't "plate stack" as did the 1095 steel. The lower carbon steel is tougher and won't chip as quickly. Instead, the edge will "roll" and a new edge can be established very quickly.

Ontario Knife Company 8679 Sp-1 Combat Knife with Black Nylon Sheath

I prefer this to the KaBar in just about every way, from cost/benefit value to performance.

Comments Opinions?
Old 05-05-2019, 10:10 PM
Super Moderator

I see you've only posted a few times. Please notice that this forum is labeled: "Knife Making Discussions".

It's about MAKING knives.

The Ontario knife you posted is a cheap sort of an imitation of the much-beloved K-Bar. It's mass-produced and mostly plastic. If you're into cheap, it's not a bad knife, as stuff like that goes.

But it sure as hell is not something that gets posted and admired on this forum. Ontario pays advertising people to do that for them.

This forum is about people who make custom knives, not people who buy cheap ones.

Old 05-05-2019, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Also, there are people laughing at your lack of knowledge regarding 1075 vs. 1095 steel.

Just sayin'......

I'll probably hate myself for beating you up on this, but it just had to be done.

Tags
1075, 1095, a, bee, blade, buy, carbon, cheap, custom, custom knives, edge, fighting, fighting knife, heat, knife, knife making, knives, make, making, nylon, plastic, sheath, steel