MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Skilled

My 3rd Knife

Hi All,

I recently polished up my third knife. My first two didn't come out so well, primarily due to blade grind and heat treating problems. Certainly many learning curves. I tried to do it all on this knife with the laser printer on parchment paper etch mask. The mask technique needs a bit more work, but at least I didn't have to toss the blade.

The profile was inspired by Schuyler Lovestrand's drop point hunter Model 10 which is a beautiful piece.

It started with a chunk of 5/32" S35VN. The scales are Maple burl pinned with four 1/8" mosaic pins. The hardest part was getting my mini firebrick forge to 1000?C + and holding it there with propane torches.

So now it's leathercraft as I am trying to have the sheath finished in time for my brother's birthday in October.

I hope that others starting out in the knifemaking craft will share their photos, triumphs and defeats so we can all learn.

The show off photos are done with the wife's Canon T3i DSLR.

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome!

Cheers!

Dan

Old 10-01-2013, 12:50 PM
Skilled

Well Done excellent fit and finish love the drop point also .

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 10-01-2013, 02:50 PM
Skilled

Thanks Sam!
Old 10-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Enthusiast

that looks slick, the lines on that design are smooth. I like it.

Steve
Old 10-01-2013, 09:02 PM
Steel Addict

Nice looking knife. I'm looking forward to seeing the sheath.
Old 10-02-2013, 07:55 PM
Steel Addict

Those pins set it off I think!

Old 10-05-2013, 12:30 PM
Skilled

My first sheath is done. It was supposed to be dyed "medium brown" which ended up more like a darker-reddish-brown. But it seems to do what it's supposed to do. I made my own 'waffle iron' stamp from some 3/8" SS round stock to do the border.

I'd still like to get some proper finish on the scales. Looking at hitting Cabela's today for some Tru-oil.
Old 10-05-2013, 12:34 PM
Steel Addict

For a third knife you are doing well!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft
Old 10-05-2013, 03:03 PM
Skilled

Well is an understatement. Looks really good. You could also try a ca/super glue finish. I haven't tried the ca glue but have seen pics and it looks good.

Austin

Old 10-05-2013, 04:06 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Dan,

That is beautiful work. I especially like the custom made leather stamp and the unique approach to getting your maker's mark on there.

I was very surprised to see that you went to all that effort with S35VN but then did your HT in a tiny forge. I believe the steel got hard - almost impossible for it not to harden up at least some under the circumstances - but it is extremely unlikely that you got a proper conversion in the steel's crystalline structure and full hardness. That's pretty much true for any stainless when the average gas forge is used much less when torches are used. I know there are guys who think they are forging and heat treating stainless using these same kinds or similar methods but they are fooling themselves. Your work is far too good to allow it to be undercut by a bad heat treatment. Stick with carbon steels that can can be properly HTed using the methods you have available or send your stainless blades out for professional treatment until you have the means to do it correctly yourself. It's clear to me you take pride in your work and I doubt you want your name on a blade that is likely to under perform or even fail when put to the test ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 10-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Skilled

Thanks for the feedback guys.

I am building a small electric kiln so I can get the heat treatment part of the process sorted out. The bonus is that it can double as a heater for my workshop. Winter is coming!

Dan

Tags
blade, blade grind, building, conversion, custom, design, etch, forge, forging, glue, harden, heat, hunter, iron, knife, knifemaking, leather, made, maker's mark, mosaic, pins, scales, sheath, steel