MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 08-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Grinder motor source....very good prices!

Today when I got home from my treatment, FedX had delivered a brand new motor my latest grinder build. I decided to go with a 3hp and a KBAC 29D controller. Stumbled around the net for a while, and found these two outfits......

http://www.ptjindustrial.com/Product...uctCode=116107
$249 and free shipping for a Leeson 3HP TEFC motor! I'm on it!!!
Looks like they carry a lot of differnt HP ratings in Leeson motors....and they are all very fairly priced!

Found the Controller here:

http://www.electricmotorwholesale.com/10001-KBAC-29D/

The gentleman I spoke with was super knowledgable, and easy to talk to. I learned a lot during our conversation....I had planned to purchase a 3450rpm motor to avoid having to "double speed" it on the controller. He quickly put the brakes on that plan by telling me that if I went with a 3450 motor, the torque would be cut in half with a VFD! The problem I was having with the low speed motors was some government regulation that specifies shaft size on specific HP size motors.....seems the motor listed above is an exemption to that rule! To explain, most motors of 3 hp come with a 1 1/8" shaft due to the above mentioned regulations.....so that means most of the availalbe drive wheels simply won't fit....but this one has a 5/8" shaft.......so Rob Frink got some more business from me.

Anyway, Here's a couple of pics:

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 08-21-2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:47 PM
Skilled

Ed that is an unusual Grinder can you post a few more photos of it ?

Thank you

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Sam!

It's nothing more then the "EERF" grinder that's out there on the net from Wilmont grinders.
First time I saw a completed one was up in Canada at Jim Clow's Hammer In. I saw potential in it, and after working out some mods that I felt it needed, I've built about a half dozen of them for others.
I'll get a thread posted about it and the mods that I think are necessary to make it the best it can be.
More to come!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 08-21-2013, 06:36 PM
Skilled

Thank you I'll be doing a bit of studying on this one.

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 08-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Skilled

That's a sexy grinder, that is!
Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 AM
Steel Addict

Thanks Ed,
That clears up my problem. I ordered two KBAC 29Ds for a couple of Baldor 3HP 3450 rpm motors that I had laying around. I put one on the old square wheel, & one on the KGB, and was greatly disappointed in the torque. Now I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for some 1740 rpm's.
Bob
Old 08-30-2013, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Glad I talked to that fella! Otherwise I would have been in the same spot. I've had the grinder running for about a week now, and with 3 ponies.....this thing is a beast. I've not been able to bog it down yet....which makes me smile.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Skilled

just saw your guard fitting video ED. That will help me a lot Thanks Any more little videos like that would be awesome.

Austin

Old 08-31-2013, 04:55 PM
Enthusiast

Location: I was born and raised in Spanish Fork, Utah. I now live between Manti and Ephraim, Utah. We built a home here about 10 year ago.
Ed, I use a 3 Hp and would never go back to a 2. You have a "T bar" handle on your beld adjustment. My KMG needs a knob that has more leverage, especially when you are under way. Good feature!

The KMG has the release knob a little to close to the support which sometimes results in a bumped knuckle. My congratulations on a very well thought out design!

Keep up the good work and don't get weak! Larry Peterson
Old 09-05-2013, 11:33 AM
Enthusiast

ed, i am in the process of making a grinder with a 2hp and a kbac 27 controller, i was going to go with a 3450 motor also...so on your motor, are you using the 2x option?
Old 09-05-2013, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

From the information I've gathered/learned......DO NOT use a 3450rpm motor. It's an issue of torque....hooking a 3450rmp motor to a VFD will cut the torque in half.

There's also the cooling issue to consider....the fan on a 3450 TEFC motor is designed to cool the motor at 3450rpm.....and it's rare that you're ever gona be running that fast on a grinder. Slowing it down with a VFD will only haper it's cooling.

On the other side, a 1725 or 1740rpm motor does not see the same torque loss (it's a matter of windings inside the motor), and cools better because the fan is designed to cool at 1725/1740rpm....and much of the time your turning that or faster when grinding.

I purchased the Leeson motor, 3hp/1740rpm, at 1x speed on the cotroller it's too slow for heavy grit belts.....so yes, I am running it at 2x on the controller......and it's working great.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 09-12-2013, 09:07 AM

Ed,
What setup are you using to provide 3 phase power to your shop?
Gary
Old 09-12-2013, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast

gary, if you use a VFD you need single phase power, the VFD will convert to 3 phase
Old 09-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

As mentioned, using a VFD (Variable Frequency Drive). I'd love to have 3 phase power to the shop, but to get it into my property is nearly $20K!

That will buy a lot of 3phas motors and VFDs!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

Old 09-13-2013, 08:13 AM

3 Phase Power

I just installed a 10hp 3 phase converter in my shop to run a surface grinder and milling machine. Unfortunatly, it is on the opposite side of the building from my knife grinding shop so I am curious on what other folks are using. I have 220 single phase next to my grinding bench but I am currently running a 110 1.5hp motor on my grinder. I bought another KMG a few months ago and want to set it up with a larger motor. Ed's 3hp VFD setup sounds great but it threw me for a loop when I saw that the motor was 3 phase. In addition to the VFD and motor, will I need any additional switchs or supplies for the setup?

Help and pointers are always appreciated.
Gary

Tags
awesome, back, baldor, bee, brand, build, building, design, easy, first post, grinding, guard, hammer, handle, home, knife, leeson, make, making, post, problem, steel, supplies, surface, video