MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:19 PM

HELP with new Grizzly

Hello Guys, Sorry post is very selfish. I recently bought a Grizzly grinder and when trying to set it up noticed way too much wobble in the main wheel. Attached a video trying to demonstrate this. I don't think this is normal? Any ideas?
Thanks!

https://youtu.be/RT4A06OqKqs
Old 07-22-2015, 08:31 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Certainly not normal for most grinders but not uncommon with the Griz. On mine, I braced a large file against the table just below the wheel and the carefully levered it into the wheel. Gently, and with patience - don't push hard or you will peel rubber off the wheel but not change the shape of the wheel. That helped quite a bit but it wasn't perfect. Eventually, I bought a higher quality wheel from one of the knife supply houses and that solved the issue entirely. I think SunRay probably has the best prices on 8" wheels but since you just bought the Griz you probably shouldn't rush right out to buy a new wheel.

The Griz is a great grinder for flat grinding. The wheel vibrating like that can be irritating but it probably won't affect your flat grinding much if you get the platen set just right. Even with a good wheel the Griz isn't easy to use for hollow grinding.

Even though that vibration is common to Grizzly's cheap wheels if you feel yours is exceptionally bad you might try calling them to see if they will exchange it under warranty for you. The new one will probably vibrate too but we can hope it might not be quite as bad ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:09 PM

Hi Ray, thanks for your reply.

I guess I should contact Grizzly about sending me a new wheel.
I just hope its not the axle of the motor.

You are correct that flat platen works fine with the wheel wobble. I just feel likely the wheel is nice for some cores and profiling. Seems to be easier on the belts too maybe. The top assembly also kind of wobbles due to belt vibrating on the back side of the grinder.

From SunRay, I would order the 8.00 X 2.00 Polyurethane WHEEL? Just specify the softest material and the correct inner diameter? Will still cost well > $100, so that would be sort of crappy

Last edited by DimaK; 07-22-2015 at 10:11 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 10:31 PM

I just got mine about 1 month ago.When i first turned it on the contact wheel would make the whole grinder shake violently. I could see the rubber on the contact wheel was not melted/glued on at the way.Turn it on and see if you can see it lift up.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPITT View Post
I just got mine about 1 month ago.When i first turned it on the contact wheel would make the whole grinder shake violently. I could see the rubber on the contact wheel was not melted/glued on at the way.Turn it on and see if you can see it lift up.
Yes the rubber absolutely lifts up as the wheel spins on mine. What was your solution?
Old 07-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quality control must have really gone downhill! I've had mine for a number of years and it's still as solid as a rock. Yeah, the Grizz has a number of flaws in design that I wish were different, but it does have it's uses.

When the truck came by to drop mine off, I had run over to the hardware store for a few minutes. My wife just told them to drop it in the driveway. I got home and there was a box that looked like it had been in a combat zone. Every part was busted and parts of the grinder were sticking through. I was just sick. If I'd been there I would have rejected it. But there wasn't much I could do at that point but finish unpacking it. To my surprise it was completely undamaged.

Old 07-23-2015, 08:56 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The rubber is loose? That is news to me. I'm used to the wheels being poorly balanced but loose rubber is even worse. You probably should see if Grizzly will send another wheel but from what the others said a new wheel may not be much different but we can hope. You might try wrapping a couple of turns of electrical tape around the wheel to see if that can reduce the vibration.

If you do buy a SunRay wheel then 70 durometer is the correct hardness. I paid $200 for my replacement wheel but the Griz purred like a kitten after that. The only other alternative I can think of would be to return the Griz and spend the same money as the Griz and a new wheel to get a basic KMG to which you would need to add a motor but which could be expanded with add ons over time. Or, you could build your own but if you do a good job of it you still probably won't beat the Grizzly price by much .....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-23-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Rogers View Post
The rubber is loose? That is news to me. I'm used to the wheels being poorly balanced but loose rubber is even worse. You probably should see if Grizzly will send another wheel but from what the others said a new wheel may not be much different but we can hope. You might try wrapping a couple of turns of electrical tape around the wheel to see if that can reduce the vibration.

If you do buy a SunRay wheel then 70 durometer is the correct hardness. I paid $200 for my replacement wheel but the Griz purred like a kitten after that. The only other alternative I can think of would be to return the Griz and spend the same money as the Griz and a new wheel to get a basic KMG to which you would need to add a motor but which could be expanded with add ons over time. Or, you could build your own but if you do a good job of it you still probably won't beat the Grizzly price by much .....
Yes Ray I think this is the cause:

https://youtu.be/Z0puh4hH_3A

I called Grizzly today and they will send a new wheel. They were really nice and quick about it so we will see how it goes. Pretty scary QC though.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:42 PM

I took the rubber off the wheel which fixed it for me. I did contact them and they were willing to replace it for free if i sent in the other wheel. Im doing flat grinding so i didnt need the rubber on the wheel.
Old 09-21-2015, 12:06 PM

Thank you for your help. Update is in order.

Griz sent me a new wheel for free. It was better but still vibrated a bit. I tried to work it out, but ended up returning the whole thing. Lost 10% but it was a good lesson learned.

Ended up buying a cheaper KMG setup. With my luck, the motor came banged up in shipping and actually broken. KMG replaced the motor and I am finally set to go. Definitely KMG setup is much better for those in doubt.

But skill and experience seem to trump any equipment issues. I ground one knife now to find a place to heat treat it...

Tags
back, bee, belts, common, demo, design, easy, file, flat, grinder, grinding, hardware, home, kit, knife, knife supply, make, material, motor, post, store, supply, video, wheels, wobble