MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:32 PM

Newb in socal..........

Hi guys.
Newbie from SoCal, in the San Diego area. Started over 20 years ago but life quickly got in the way, and I never completed a knife. I know a little about working steel, I can TIG, MIG and gas weld but don?t have any welders currently except at work. I have access to whatever steel I want for wholesale prices. Currently only have some hand tools, assortment of files, 4? vice, chop saw, and a couple of angle grinders. I have access to heat treating equipment at work, but I would like to build a small forge and learn to do things a little old school.

The plan is to start off making fix blade, full tang utility knives (2?-6? blades) using some cheap steel stock (might be 1084) I have lying around. I want to learn to make my own micarta for scales. I really like the file art work on knives so I want to teach myself how to do this. I found some really good videos on YouTube. No plans at the moment to sale my knives but you never know.

I will post pics of my progress in knife making.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:13 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome, 1Leg! Sounds like you have a pretty good plan. Only one thing I would change and that's the "might be 1084" part - make darned sure it's 1084 or 1080. In other words, don't try to make your first knife out of mystery metal. Make sure you know what you're using so that you will know how to properly heat treat the blade, otherwise you could easily be wasting your time and effort ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-28-2012, 08:51 AM

I don't plan to heat treat this scrap. Just to practice shaping and filing on. Guess i should have made that a little more clear in the first post. I want to make a few practice knives to refresh some old skill i might still have.

Thank you for the advice
Old 05-15-2014, 12:37 PM
Enthusiast

Super old post. Anyone know if the OP is still on here? I'm in the same town.

Tags
angle, blade, build, files, first post, forge, full tang, hand, heat treat, how to, knife, knife making, knives, make, making, micarta, post, scales, steel, tang, teach, tools, weld