MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:39 PM
Skilled

A quick question

I used the search function, but didnt find exactly what I was looking for.

I found some steel and will start this weekend on making my own blades. I have read that if you make a blade, that you should have a makers mark.

I obviously dont have one, but would like to use the one my dad used, which was "RICKITY".

Do these marks have to be bought, or registered? Or can I just proceed willy nilly?
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM

Well unless your name is Loveless and you want a naked woman on your logo then you can proceed as you wish. Copying someone elses logo is frowned upon but since I have never heard of another maker using Rickety I think you should be good. Are you going to get a stamp made or are you planning on etching it?
Steve

Old 01-20-2009, 08:04 PM
Skilled

Probably just use individual lettering stamps. For now anyway.

I just didnt know what rules there were for doing it, or if I needed to even put a mark on there without being #######d or a master or what not.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-21-2009, 09:00 AM
Hall of Famer

If you make it mark it. Its your work and you deserve the credit. Think of it as an artist signing his work.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM
Guru

I'd like to chime in and say I'm glad some of my first knives are not marked. There's no hard, fast rule that says you have to do it, not much sense investing in stamps or stencils if you only make on knife anyways. I would not use your father's logo exactly, add something to it or some such, that way the knives can be distinguished years from now.

See my knives @ knives.caphayes.com

This quote pains me:
-- "Strategically placed blood grooves control blood spray in covert deanimation activities." --
Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Don't overlook the one real purpose of using a mark in the first place and that is so that people can know who made the knife. The point being that they will then know who to contact so that they can order a knife from you.

To me, that means the logo has to be either incredibly famous like Loveless or it has to say something useful that can be used to find you, like 'Ray Rogers'. Who is RICKETY? Only your friends and a few of us will know. That may be fine for now but eventually it will cost you some sales.

So, I'd suggest something like 'John Doe' (notice we don't really even know who Huntforlife is) on the first line and maybe 'RICKETY Knives' below that. For a logo like that you'd want to use an electric etcher rather than a stamp. Something to consider ........

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-21-2009, 12:21 PM
Guru

I agree with Ray. Whatever you decide on, make it so anyone will be able to tell who the maker was. I use a stamp because of durability. If you decide on a stamp, Henry Evers can build one to your specs. If you use an etcher, have someone professionally make the stencils. Your name should look as good as the knife.

Gary
Old 01-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Skilled

Thanks ya'll. I talked with my dad and he said not to use the Rickity. Pretty much told me to come up with something thats mine, but felt honored that I'd put it on a blade.

He told me that no matter what the final product is, as long as you are proud of it, you need to put your mark on it. He said if you feel its scarp and no count, then scrap it.

I kinda put 2 and 2 together with what ya'll have said and will wait to see the outcome of these first 2. If I like them then I will simply stamp my initials on it. Cant get much simpler than that.

I really appreciate all the advice I get here. Thanks again!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:46 PM
Skilled

Appreciate the advice Gary. I'll look into that and see what the prices are for a stamp. I got an old metal punch lettering set somewhere around here. Was just gonna use that for Initials. But if the price is fair then I may get one. Depends on how they turn out I reckon.

Tags
blade, knife, knives