MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 10-13-2007, 08:04 PM
Steel Addict

fl series

hey folks, great site....i am about to order about 17 fl series knives for christmas gifts for allmy brothers, nephews, brother inlaws and my father..i am just wondering if anyone has any photos of finished fl's that they have done..or maybe a pfoto series fo doing it? thanks...

i can't wait to try a fixed blade someday..i think i may have just found a new hobby...
Old 10-14-2007, 11:45 AM
Steel Addict

really, 23 views and no one has any opinions?? wow...
Old 10-14-2007, 07:27 PM
Enthusiast

I put together a Fl-006 last year. Carried it until I got my DDR3 up and running. They're simple, functional knives. Well worth the little cost.

You won't need any tutorial or photos. The directions provided are more than enough. As for customizing, I chose to spend more time on the DDR and put together the FL just to make sure I could build a kit.

As for the lack of responses, it's the weekend and if you've noticed this isn't a super busy forum to begin with. Give it a few days and see if there are more responses.
Old 10-14-2007, 07:42 PM

The Fl series has been very popular for us. Many fist time knifemakers choose them because they are well designed and simple to assemble. It is generaly the knife that I refer first time kit builders to. I will try to post some pics tommorow of some finished Fl series knives.

Ryan Bailey
GM

http://www.knifekits.com
1-877-25-KNIFE
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 AM
Steel Addict

thanks guys, appreciate the responses....can you buy spines for the fl's??
Old 10-15-2007, 09:27 AM

We don't carry them right now, but there has been talks of adding them to the website in the near future.

Ryan Bailey
GM

1-877-25-KNIFE
Old 10-15-2007, 10:14 AM
Steel Addict

cool, i would love to add a spine to mine. so, if i am ordering like 15 of them can get a discount?? haha
Old 10-15-2007, 10:47 AM

When you order the FL kits in five packs you save about ten dollars, so if you order fifteen that would be about a thirty dollar savings. DISCOUNT, SCHMISSCOUNT...... why I Aughttttta.........

Ryan Bailey
GM

1-877-25-KNIFE
Old 10-15-2007, 11:10 AM
Steel Addict

haha....one more question. would you reccomend the dyamondwood....or going with a different scale. what would the pros and cons be of each?..i really like the looks of cocobolo...and have cocobolo grips on my 1911...would be cool to match.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:25 AM

The Dymond wood is already contoured to the shape of the handle, and come standard on most models in the FL series. The other handle material is cut to shape but requires some sanding and contouring. If you want a little bit more of a challenge than just assembling the knife, than I would order the cocobolo.
It's not that difficult and I think you will be more pleased with the end results.
I have a friend who made a set of smooth cocobolo for his Kimber and the finished grips were gorgeous.

Ryan Bailey
GM

1-877-25-KNIFE
Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Steel Addict

cocobolo it is then....after i finish sanding them etc. do i need to seal them? is that information included in the instructions?

sorry for some many noob questions...
Old 10-15-2007, 11:49 AM

I don't think that information is included in the instructions, but I have used linseed oil and a rag to seal cocobolo before. If you ask around I'm sure there are better methods that people will share with you. As for being a noob.....this a forum dedicated to knife kit building and helping our fellow forum members in need. Good luck with the knives, I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Ryan Bailey
GM

1-877-25-KNIFE
Old 10-15-2007, 01:05 PM
Steel Addict

thanks ryan, i am pretty excited about these. i am also starting to dream about building a fixed blade...maybe sometime soon.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClash
thanks ryan, i am pretty excited about these. i am also starting to dream about building a fixed blade...maybe sometime soon.
Fixed blades are fun! I just finished a Delta 5 bowie that was sitting for over a year. As much work as it was shaping the bolsters the way I wanted them, it was fun.

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, knives