MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:30 AM

Attaching tools to an arbor press?

I have a really nice arbor press but for the life of me I cannot figure out how you would attach tools to the ram? I am thinking of just making attachments that would go on with some sort of collar and set screw? I want to use it for rivets, flaring thong tubes, etc? Anybody got some Pics of what they do? Thanks, don
Old 08-13-2013, 07:13 PM

I made a collar for mine by milling a pocket (Not all of the way through)in a chunk of steel about 3/8" wider than the ram, then attached it to the ram with a set screw in the side. I drilled several holes in the bottom of the collar and have set screws going into the holes from the side. I put various tools in the holes and secure with a set screw. I can take the entire thing odd in a few seconds. I also drilled and tapped the bottom of the ram so I can screw in a stud that I can screw additional tools over.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Skilled

Would you be able to post some pics of this for us to use as a guide? I have an old MEC shotgun reloading press that I planned on converting to a makeshift arbor press and this idea seems useful. Thanks.

Tony Z

"Retreat? Hell, we just got here!"
Captain Lloyd Williams, USMC
Battle Of Belleau Wood June 1918
Old 08-14-2013, 06:46 AM

Thank you!

Sounds like I get to make a collar and drill/tap out my ram! I'll have to make a flat end for the ram for pressing bearings, etc so I don't end up w/a hole in the middle of my ram face. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 08-14-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulmaduro View Post
Would you be able to post some pics of this for us to use as a guide? I have an old MEC shotgun reloading press that I planned on converting to a makeshift arbor press and this idea seems useful. Thanks.

Tony Z
I will get a picture of it at the shop tomorrow. You can also drill and tap a hole in the middle of the ram then counter sink a bolt hole in a chunk of steel so you can bolt the steel to the bottom of the ram. You could drill whatever size hole you need in the bottom of the steel chunk and insert the tool of choice. Several for different uses could be made up.

I milled a slot in a 1" steel bar and welded a broach in the slot. I tapped one end of the steel bar and used it to broach out material in AR 15 uppers with the arbor press. They are very useful. I use a solid carbide broach now in a Horizontal mill to do the same job but it shows what can be done if you think about it.

Tags
arbor, drill, flat, gun, made, make, making, material, pocket, post, press, rivets, steel, tools