MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 02-01-2005, 08:10 PM
Skilled

Lloyd Hale.."It's only Rock and Roll"..

Our own Lloyd Hale, and his weapon of choice back in the 60's..
Here's Lloyd on the process:

Looking back on it now, it seems like a natural transition to go from Guitar maker to Knife maker...
in 1967 I made this solid body Guitar and sold it to John Phillips of the "Mamma's and Papa's" ...
I made my own Pickups and Frets.... the only thing I didn't make on this Guitar were the Tuning Keys
and Bigsby Vibrato.... At the time I lived in Riverside California.... about 40 mile east of the Fender
Guitar plant..... The electronic engineers explained the principles of the electric pickups to me
so I was off and running.... The first pictures shows the Walnut and Ash I used and the second one
shows my set up for winding the pick ups 4 saucers using 10 marbles helped me keep track of the
count of wraps per pickup ..7000 on one 9000 on the other....

The neck being glued up and the pre shaping of the body.... This was my first venture into
building anything..... pryor to getting married in 1960 I played Lead Guitar in a Rock and Roll
band in Denver Colorado, So I had a knowlege of Guitars and Music...... But I was self taught
and wouldn't take lessons and truth be known I was a very average guitar player.. so when My new
wife gave me the ultimatum of either Her or Music I rightly chose Her and the move to Riverside California..
I made the guitar on a sheet on our living room floor..
Old 02-01-2005, 08:28 PM
Skilled

Guitar cont....
I designed and built my own neck reinforcement and adjustment bar..

...(With the pickups being made and wound..Each wind was counted using a homemade abacus with marbles..)..Rich

The guitar disassembled..
Old 02-01-2005, 08:44 PM
Skilled

Guitar Part 3..
"It took a year of filing on the floor to get this done..(My wife was not so understanding)"

A young 30 year old Hale...... I took the Guitar down to the R and D department of the
Fender Guitar Company and they put it on their Oscilloscope for testing the sound quality
and they were impressed .... I did a little more work for John... I would like to know where
this Guitar is at now.... I think Denny Doughrty would know ... I think he's in Toronto Canada..

I know there are a lot of guitar players here, (makers too, Don Cowles for one..), and I think those photos bring back some memories.. That is some guitar..It had the "Hale Touch" even back then. Lloyd said this axe wasn't that heavy weight wise, but look at the photo's and tell me if you believe that..LOL.. Thanks for sending these Lloyd...Rich
Old 02-01-2005, 08:58 PM

Simply incredible! Who'd a thunk??!

Rich, I KNOW you are enjoying this journey?you ol' Rock Star yourself. And Lloyd--congratulations on your past endeavor! This axe is still somewhere with many admirers.

What a young stud, too!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 02-01-2005, 09:57 PM
Skilled

Thanks Rich for posting this .. We thought it might be fun to see what We all did before finding our way into knifemaking... About a year after making this I discovered a Randall Model 3 and my fate was sealed... Between Bo and Gary Randall and Tommy Bish they launched me in the right direction .. I loved Music, but knives became a seductive mistress to me and has never let me down... I've let Her down a few times but she always takes me back and my Collectors forgive my transgressions.... Yes, I make a bad one now and then.... it's in my Genes I guess.......there's a knife of mine out there that has a handle made from part of this Guitar.... I saw it at Ed Wormsers show.....
I think I made the knife in 1968.... I suddenly feel very very old..........

Last edited by Lloyd Hale; 02-02-2005 at 05:49 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 07:30 AM
Skilled

That's a really neat story and one groovy geeetar.

Roger
Old 02-02-2005, 08:41 AM
Skilled

Veerrryy cool geetar. Seems to me there's another decent knifemaker from Riverside...can't place the name.. Anyhoo, must be something in the H20 out there.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:10 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to PMSKnife Send a message via Yahoo to PMSKnife
Guit Fiddles

I have a combo for sale on e-bay at the moment:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3780094129

Mark

http://www.pmsknives.com
knifeman@netscape.com

Tags
knife, knives