MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 11-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Skilled

Oil Rubbed Copper & Ironwood

Hi, Just finished this etched O1 blade, textured oil rubbed copper bolsters, and ironwood folder. My wife likes the blade shape with this handle but I'm not sure, any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Sorry about the pics, I'm learning the new camera and waiting for photo edit software.

Thanks, Dave

Old 11-06-2004, 10:33 PM
Guru

I like it ! Very much so. Its a keeper.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 11-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Enthusiast

love the textured bosters. It adds alot of charactor to the knife. How did you texture them?

Nice job,
KJ
Old 11-06-2004, 11:09 PM
Hall of Famer

Say! This one is an eye catcher for sure! I like everything about it Dave. Nice job!

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 11-07-2004, 06:23 AM
Guru

Dave, I agree with your wife, as a collector of knives for nearly 30 years, if there was ever a knife I wanted...this ones it!!!! Like everything about it the scales, the blade shape, and the textured bolsters. Only thing I want to know is how much... Bud

Old 11-07-2004, 10:05 AM
Living Legend

Dave, I agree with Bud completely; the moment I saw that folder I wanted it. All of us knifenuts see a lot of very nice work and enjoy it, but every once in awhile one just causes an immediate lust......

I love textured copper and steel together. The wood choice is a great complement. Very, very nice. The handle shape works GREAT with the blade for me...
Old 11-07-2004, 10:49 AM

Thumbs up

Perfect I love it How about more info

Old 11-07-2004, 12:44 PM
Skilled

Thank you for the great comments!
When I design a new knife I draw the handle first and then draw a few different blade shapes, my wife picked this one and I picked a wharncliffe style, I'll try that one next.
Bud, email me if you'd like, this one is gone but I'm sure we can work something out.

KJ, This is the way that I textured the bolsters of this knife, remember there are many different ways to do it and it's a lot of fun playing with the different methods.

After profiling the bolsters and scales I contour and shape them close to finish up to about 600 grit, remove the bolsters and place them on a secure surface, I have a piece of 3/8 x 1 1/2 x 6 micarta that I put in my bench vise and I use double sided tape to hold the bolster secure.
Before actually texturing the bolster, practice your pattern on a piece of scrap of the SAME material, copper is soft and will machine easier than steel. On this one I did a diagonal layout but get creative and do straight, random, patterns, whatever, It's hard to see but along with the diagonal I did a small flower pattern around the upper screw.
Once you have your pattern draw it on the bolster with a marker, pencil or color the whole bolster with ink and use a scribe. I used a small round burr in a flex shaft dremil with adjustable speed. If you want highs and lows just apply more downward pressure in some areas, be careful towards the edges as the burr wants to roam so hang on tight.
Once you finish texturing with the burr take a small dremil wire wheel I use brass wire on this one and wire wheel the entire textured area. I then reattach the bolster to the frame with scales and I sand with the same 600 grit to blend the bolster / scale joint and you can apply more sanding pressure to the texturing to flatten the highs some, depends on the look you're trying to achieve.
Take the bolster back off and put it back on you're steady rest, now you can apply different patina's, on this one I used a browning patina over the whole area. Once you achieve the color you want stop and rinse it off with hot water and 4 O steel wool, LIGHTLY. Dry it off and I did an oil rub on this one to give it a more soft burnished look. I used gun oil and a stiff backed very fine sanding cloth and rub it until you are happy with the results. I finished with a couple of coats of ren wax.
That's it, hope it helps and have fun trying different methods, Dave
Old 11-07-2004, 01:22 PM

Wonderful in materials and style. I agree with the others about the attractiveness about this piece. You have a sense of design that is subtle, but it *really* makes all the difference. It's a gift. Be proud and continue to better yourself.

Thanks for the looksee and the clear explanations.

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 11-07-2004, 07:29 PM

Heres some more Kelly eye candy

Old 11-07-2004, 08:17 PM
Skilled

VERY VERY NICE Dave. You are good.

Bill

www.geocities.com/buxtonknives
Old 11-08-2004, 11:40 AM
Skilled

Thanks Coop, I have to continue to better myself

Thanks Phillip for the very nice pic

Thanks Bill, BTW we had a trip planned to your neck of the woods, houses lined up to look at and I had to cancel at the last minute do to this crazy health thing, hopefully I haven't waited too long I would hate to be stuck out here.

Tags
blade, knife, knives