MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 04-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Registered

New Member saying hello

I have been lurking and reading for some time now. I just finished my first kit in very long time. ( a DDR-2 )

I had no clue what I would be getting as far as quality goes. I have always chosen my carry knife very carfully, I want it to be tough and reliable. I admit that I have always wanted a high quality custom that fits my working atire better than my present carry knife ( a microtech ) but could never afford the huge ( relative term I know ) price tag that quality pieces carry.

The DDR-2 I received is wonderful. The action is great and lockup is better ( after a little work ) then my microtech. I spent about 5 hours today putting it together. ( polished bolsters and scales and filed and ston fit everything). I went with the premade black/blue G10 scales, because the kits I have seen in the past were basically junk.... not the case here at all...... to say the least I am very happy.

I have been taking factory jobs apart and dressing them up for years, but I think that practice is over. I'll be getting a few more kits.

By the way my buddy was by this evening and bought the knife from me....... he just had to have... I guess I'll just have to make myself another one.....

I have been admiring some of the work many of you have done, so I should thank you all for the inspiration.... or should I curse you all for getting me starting in this..... oh well.
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 PM

Hellooooo Donald! Welcome aboard!

Well, you'll fit right in around here. You know how to make 'em, and you know how to move 'em. The quality of these guys speaks loudly, don't it? Nice work. Now lets get you going with pics....

See ya!

Coop

?? New website improvement for 2010 - Over 5000 images searchable by maker's name! ??
Old 04-02-2003, 10:36 PM

Welcome to the CKD!

I'm sure that this was just the first of many knives that you'll be making.

Be sure to get some pics of your future knives and post them here. We all love to see what others are doing.

Have a great time building your knives and do be afraid to ask questions!

Bob Sigmon
Old 04-03-2003, 01:47 AM

Welcome Donald!

Sounds like you're pretty well sucked in

If you have to have an addiction you couldn't have picked a better one nor be among better company...as you've already observed this place is great.

My first kit was also a DDR-II...that seems so long ago (How time flies when you're having fun). That little knife got me started on a journey of discovery about myself that has in many ways changed me forever...for the good I believe...

Hope you fare as well...Good Luck!

As Coop said, let's see some pics!

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-03-2003, 07:50 AM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Welcome, Donald. Can't wait to see your work.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 04-03-2003, 08:14 AM

Welcome Donald,
Glad you like the dd2!

If you like this knife when the ddr3 #1 and #2 come out you will love them.

Nice to see you here!
Take a look at these!

http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12966

http://ckdforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=12953

Last edited by Darrel Ralph; 04-03-2003 at 08:20 AM.
Old 04-03-2003, 09:55 AM
Registered

Thanks for your replies.....

I have a digital camera, although its not a great one.... I'll take pictures of the next one and read up on how to post pictures.

I ordered the ddr1 and some ironwood scales for #2.

I love the look of the DDR3 when will it be comming out.... I see everyone is waiting for the typhoon right now, so I assume its gonna be a while.

I do have a question of the pro's here.

How do you fellas sharpen your knives? I have been using a Lansky for years which is really do for replacment..... I understand many use a belt sander and buffer ( I dont own either, but I can see I'll be needing them ) What steps are used in this system?

Thanks for taking the time to answer....
Old 04-03-2003, 10:41 AM

I have quite a few methods at my disposal, but my favorite by far is still the Spyderco Tri-sharpener system (the name is something like that...don't have the package handy). It's a rod system, set at the correct angles...it's a no-brainer. The accompanying video and sizeable, full-color brochure makes it all the easier to use.

Dennis Greenbaum

Yeah Baby!
Old 04-04-2003, 05:43 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckdf, donald. always good to have another knife junkie join in.
reyr sharpener question, there are probably as many methods as there are folks who sharpen their own knives.
if you just want something to use for thin bladed kitchen and small edc-type knives, you might look at the paper wheel system (click here and scroll down the page. it is comprised of two 8" paper wheels that mount on a regular bench grinder. practice on the kitchen ware and you will be a pro in no time.
for larger knives and/or thicker blades, i recommend the edgepro apex. this is probably the best rod system on the market and ben dale couldn't be a nicer fellow to work with.
also check out the search button (top right of the screen). there have been many past threads about these and other sharpeners/systems.

Old 04-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Hall of Famer

welcome to ckdf, donald. always good to have another knife junkie join in.
reyr sharpener question, there are probably as many methods as there are folks who sharpen their own knives.
if you just want something to use for thin bladed kitchen and small edc-type knives, you might look at the paper wheel system (click here and scroll down the page, looking for sharpening equipt/page 1). it is comprised of two 8" paper wheels that mount on a regular bench grinder. practice on the kitchen ware and you will be a pro in no time.
for larger knives and/or thicker blades, i recommend the edgepro apex. this is probably the best rod system on the market and ben dale couldn't be a nicer fellow to work with.
also check out the search button (top right of the screen). there have been many past threads about these and other sharpeners/systems/methods.

Last edited by whv; 04-04-2003 at 05:54 PM.

Tags
knife, knives