MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 01-30-2002, 12:28 PM
Don Halter

TKCA info

Howdy All!
I went to the last show in Austin and even met a couple makers from the Bryan/College Station area. I was planning on joining in the near future. I had a few questions, though.
Are there any other meetings aside from the annual show in August? How about regular get-togethers other than the big ones like Johnny Stout's. I was thinking more along the lines of a monthly local hammer-in for the different regions. I didn't see anything like this listed on the site, and the boards here seem to be pretty quiet. It looks to be like a fairly large organization with a lot of nice people so I'm guessing there's activities somewhere.
Membership comes with a free propane forge, right ?
Old 01-30-2002, 09:51 PM
KnifeWife

Being a young organization with members spreadout over our vast state we have been trying to add "get togethers" each year. We started 3 years ago with 2 meetings a year for the general membership

The Board Members look for any venue that can promote our organization and knives. There are some things in the works to expand the ocassions for meetings or get-togethers.

The "formal" meetings are held at Johnny Stout's Hammer-Ins (January & September in New Braunfels), Central Texas Knife Show (August in Austin) and Spirit of Steel Show (September in Mesquite). These insure the greatest number of members present. There have been other ocassions where members get together informally and that is encouraged.

We are looking forward to many get togethers all over the state as the years go by.

The three main areas with the heaviest numbers of members are Dallas/Fort Worth, Austin/San Antonio and Houston.
Old 02-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Don Halter

Sounds good. I guess I'm smack in the middle. The good and bad side is that everyone is about 2 hrs away! I'm looking forward to joining and getting to know more knifemakers in Texas.
Old 02-01-2002, 11:14 PM
Bob Warner

Good to have you join. See you one of these days. If your ever in Dallas, look me up.
Old 02-02-2002, 02:07 PM
KnifeWife

I'll check around for you and see what other groups have going too. And we do have a few members in your area that might do informal get-togethers.

Old 02-02-2002, 04:19 PM
Jason G Howell

Hello Don, You met a couple buddies of mine... Richard and Chester? Great guys. We 3 just had a hammer in at my place just south of Houston. Good turnout and we got plenty done. We'll be doing it at least yearly, but I'm with you... These are great ways to expand your knowledge and meet some great people. Take care.
Old 02-15-2002, 09:39 AM
Don Halter

Well, the e-check cleared early this week so I should officially be a new member now .

If I can work a deal, it looks like I'll be in Texas another 5 years at least.
Old 02-16-2002, 09:29 AM
Geno

Welcome Don,
I'm just a day away in Ft. Worth. You'll love our little state.
I hope you speak espaniol, living down there by the border.
Just hollar if you need any help,OK?
Be Blessed.
Old 02-19-2002, 07:58 AM
Don Halter

Border? Which border would that be? I've been known to make a road trip down to McAllen once in a while, but College Station is two hours east of Austin .

I do go to D/FW quite often, though.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:17 PM
Geno

Sorry Don, Got you mixed up with another new member that is moving to the lower valley soon. He has been E mailing about Texas info.
Next time you get up towards Ft. Worth, give me a call so I can have you out for a visit.
Sorry about the mix up, and Welcome.
Old 02-19-2002, 09:36 PM
jar

Yeah, Geno. Are you saying you got so many new members you can't keep us straight

jim
Old 02-19-2002, 09:55 PM
Bob Warner

That would be a good thing.
Old 02-20-2002, 08:44 AM
Geno

Guys, you wouldn't believe how many e mails we get each day.
Heck, I can't even keep my kids names straight.
Old 02-20-2002, 09:28 AM
Don Halter

I'm looking forward to seeing y'all other maker's set-ups. I think I've learned more in the last 6 months from other makers, than I've learned on my own since I started!

I'll definitely give you a ring next time I'm heading up that way.

Thanks,

Tags
forge, knife, knives