MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Knife Organizations and Club Boards > Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association

Texas Knifemakers and Collectors Association Dedicated to promoting custom knives and knifemakers.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered

Hello Ya'all

Hi.
I just wanted to introduce myself. My son and I have finished our first few knives using blanks. We just about have a shop finished and will soon start grinding our own. Looking forward to it!

I would appreciate if anyone could point us to a tutorial. I would also greatly appreciate it if anyone within a couple hours of Houston (we live in Magnolia) would be kind enough to take some time to show us the correct and and safe way to get started.

Thanks
Old 08-05-2005, 02:37 PM
Living Legend

Welcome to the forums,

If you?re looking for some of the best information you've come to the right place. Read over the threads, you will be staggered on how much information is here. As for starting information there's a thread in the Newbie's forum that list huge amounts of reference material.

http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=13921

There is also a tutorial section under the workshop link above:

http://www.knifenetwork.com/workshop/index.shtml

And I definately look at these DVD's, the hottest thing for a new person. Basically personal instruction from some of the best around.

Oops, forgot the DVD site: http://ccinstructionalvideos.com/

I live in the north side of TX, near Dallas.

Again welcome and enjoy, especially with your son,
Jim

Last edited by Drac; 08-05-2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Magnolia? I'm right down the road in The Woodlands.

As Jim pointed out, there are lots of tutorials around the TKN, and a lot of the better knifemakers have tutorials on their websites. The late Bob Engnath had a lot of info on his website, which is still maintained. http://www.engnath.com/public/manframe.htm

Don't be afraid to ask questions here - Just be sure to do the SEARCH first and make sure that the question wasn't already answered.

Rick Hare
aka Texasjack

Old 08-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Registered

Thanks for the welcome. We'll be checking it out. Ordered belts today from trugrit.com. We found a new in the box 2 x 42 from sears. Looks like it'll work til we can afford to move up. Saw on other forums where alot of people use this and some have even converted to a 2 x 72.

Are there any rendeaveauz or such sort of thing with demos and alike? I like to see things done firsthand.

Im sure I'll be talking to ya.

Regards\\

Eric
Old 08-06-2005, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

Just keep checking that "New Posts" hyperlink. There are some hammer-ins (generally when the weather is cooler around here!) and I think there's a blacksmithing bunch that meets near where you live.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:18 AM
Living Legend

For TX hammer-ins, it's Johnny Stout twice a year. He normally posts here when he's got one going. The site Texas Jack pointed out is the "Bible" of the knife making world, memorize it, master it, love it. I go back and reread it every so often as I learn new things others start to make more sense.

Jim

Last edited by Drac; 08-06-2005 at 02:31 AM.
Old 08-07-2005, 08:37 AM

Hey Aeolson. I am also new to this forum. I make knives in my garage in the Spring Klein area. You should come by and get some hands on experience.
John
Old 08-10-2005, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Aeolson and John,

You've already gotten some great pointers!

I can vouch for Johnny Stout's and Harvey Dean's hammer-ins. They are a tremendous education and a great time spent with knife folks. If you can make it, they are very worthwhile and a lot of fun. I've been to the last two and wrote a review of the Fall 2004 hammer-in for the TCKA newsletter. I can send a copy of the review to anyone interested. I might have to miss the one coming up in September since I have a son on the way but otherwise I'd be there.

Also, you probably know already but Texas Knifemakers' Supply is here in Houston near I-10 and Beltway 8. It's easy to get to. Being able to visit in person is a big plus because they do heat treating of almost anything, and you don't have to pay shipping back and forth with the delay and risk that goes with it. Also, when buying supplies you can look them over in person. And last but not least Lance and Jim are great guys and terrific to deal with. They also come to the hammer-ins mentioned above with a bunch of supplies for sale.

If you haven't considered it, you might want to join the TKCA. One reason if you are new is that if you want a presence on the web but don't feel like getting a full-blown web site, the TKCA will give you a page on their site. I think they are a great group as well of course.

Here are some links:

Hammer-In info on Harvey Dean's site: http://www.harveydean.com/Training%20Opportunities.htm

TKCA: http://www.tkca.org/

Texas Knifemakers' Supply: http://www.texasknife.com/

By the way, I am located near Willowbrook Mall (249 & 1960).

Measure twice, cut once.
Old 08-10-2005, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

Well, since we're all letting everyone know where we are. I'm in Mequite.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:15 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeolson
Hi.
I just wanted to introduce myself. My son and I have finished our first few knives using blanks. We just about have a shop finished and will soon start grinding our own. Looking forward to it!

I would appreciate if anyone could point us to a tutorial. I would also greatly appreciate it if anyone within a couple hours of Houston (we live in Magnolia) would be kind enough to take some time to show us the correct and and safe way to get started.

Thanks
Welcome to the Texas Knifemakers & Collectors Forum. As you've already seen, there are many makers here that will offer to help you in anyway they can. Check out our web site at www.tkca.org. You'll be able to see pictures of many of the members and read a bio of them also.

If I can be of any help to you, don't hesitate to contact me.

Old 08-13-2005, 10:37 AM

Well here are the results of our day in the shop.
We ground a small Loveless drop point with tapered tang.
We soldered the guard on another knife and we glued and pinned the Thuya burl handles on. And we polished a blade that had been heat treated. Later that afternoon after everyone had gone back home and the epoxy was good and hard, I finished up the thuya handle. This picture sure is small. Humm I'll have to work on that.
John

Old 08-13-2005, 10:43 AM

Oh yes! This is much better.

Old 08-15-2005, 06:59 PM
Guru

Welcome to the forums A. Olson & John! There's lots of us here in TX. I'm up in the Bryan/College Station area as is Richard Epting, Chester Darcy and Dwayne Bandy. There's a few others as well up here that are just starting out. I'm hoping to get a monthly *thing* going where we all can get together and beat on some hot metal once it cools off a bit! You're about an hour plus a bit from me...depending who you get stuck behind on the road! Starting in Sept, I'll be out in my shop almost every weekend. I have crash space as well.

Last edited by Don Halter; 08-15-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:24 PM

Don,
I saw Epting and Darcey at the Central Texas Knife Show in Austin, (Excellent Knifemakers!) Were you there also? I probably didn't get one of your cards. Sounds like a road trip is in order. The only local club is in Pasadena, 50 miles away through down town Houston (like taking your life in your own hands). I'd rather drive to Aggie Land to visit knifemakers. Let me know what you think. Maybe Eric would like to come also, he's on the way. He should see other operations before commiting to equipment purchases for his shop.
John
Old 08-15-2005, 11:21 PM
Enthusiast

Hey John,

It sure was great visiting you at your shop! Every time I see another maker work I learn a ton. Plus great people is one of my favorite aspects of knifemaking. I sure am looking forward to next time!

Don,

I would love to visit one of your monthly *things* if possible -- I've never forged a blade but I've really enjoyed watching Harvey Dean do so at the hammer-ins. I've always wanted to give it a try but thought living in a subdivision it would not be advisable.

Measure twice, cut once.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knife making, knives