MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 06-28-2005, 12:01 PM
Skilled

Makers Mark: Can this be used?

My last name is Schott and Ive been thinking of creative ways to symbolize my knives. I am developing a style that is fairly unique, but have no way of marking my blades. I dont have the money yet to invest in electro etching etc (until i sell a few knives!) but for the time being I came up with a somewhat unique mark that I like and wondered if it would even be considered a mark. On the tip of the tang i file away a section above and below the tip and grid it semi-flat, leaving me with a slightly curved rectangle. Within this, I filework a distinct "S". After which, i make sure the handles are a bit undersized from the end of the tang. After polishing, this leaves a mirrored, raised "S" on the tip of my tang. If you hit something with the butt end, it would emboss a deep S into the material. If i did this on every knife, would it be known as a makers mark? I know from many sources that getting a full name on there is almost a necessity, but I have no means to do so at this time....
Old 06-28-2005, 12:46 PM
Enthusiast

A single letter mark is do-able, but very difficult to do successfully.

Depends on how "unique" your work is, and how good it is.

Try doing a search for "Hill Pearce" His mark was a single Classic "P".

Russ
Old 06-29-2005, 10:39 AM
Skilled

Sounds unique. I say go for it. I like makers marks better than names. It stands out more. On the other hand no one will know who the mark pertains to. I have been using a mark made up of my initials JK (see my avatar). I just got a personalizer plus last week, and I will be using it for my mark on the "show side", and I will be putting my last name on the other side. If you are going to be using a mark, I suggest that you change your screen name to your real name so people can associate the mark with your name when you post pictures.

Jeremy

Tags
knife, knives