MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:16 AM
Skilled

I'd still check the voltage coming out of the wall for piece of mind... Over or under voltage will make things prematurely burn out... For example if you have a 120 v circuit that's is only putting out 90 v a light bulb will burn out faster. Get a voltage tester just to be sure. I've seen 120v circuits putting out 208v due to damaged power company lines. Breakers do not have to trip for a problem to be present. Wouldn't hurt to test your circuts....
~Nate
Old 09-22-2013, 08:14 PM
Steel Addict

If dust was the issue, the manufacturer would be seeing a lot of these problems, especially with the frequency of problems you alone are having. You mention the motor is three phase. Do you have your garage correctly wired for three phase? Is the VFD controller powered from the grinder or does it have a separate plug for 110V? To me, the issues you are having are power issues. You have to check your power supply voltage on all three legs. They must be close in voltage. As mentioned earlier, a high or low voltage than what the motor is rated for can cause premature failure.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:04 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Bowman,

His shop is wired for 220. The VFD is converting his 220v single phase to 3 phase. You're right, of course, plenty of possibility for power issues there but it seems everything that has been mentioned earlier related to power he has already checked off the list. That doesn't mean it isn't a power problem but it would seem to be an elusive problem if it is power...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-22-2013, 11:07 PM
Steel Addict

I see what you're saying now Ray. If the problem is dust, does that mean most manufacturers are using a totally enclosed motor? I'd like to know for when I build my own grinder.
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I don't KNOW the problem is metal dust but every other alternative that anyone has come up with has been investigated and shot down, dust is the only idea left on the table.

Yes, for grinders all manufacturers I have seen use TEFC motors. Some guys use open motors by mounting them under the table or building an enclosure for them. A 2 hp TEFC motor from Grizzly was about $250 way back when I priced them and they are first class motors. If you have a choice, get an enclosed motor ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-23-2013, 11:01 PM

get a single phase motor
Old 09-24-2013, 05:18 AM
Steel Addict

Bowman, check out the thread Ed Caffery posted about the new motor and controller he just found online for his new EERF grinder build. I've done some searching but haven't found prices like he's found.
Old 09-24-2013, 07:04 AM
Steel Addict

Thank you all very much. I do have a dedicated 220 line for the grinder. I spoke to the electrician and he tested the power coming in and that it was clean with no spikes. We have lights and freezers and other equipment in the garage and have had no issues
Old 09-24-2013, 09:03 AM
Steel Addict

I spoke to my friend and he more or less reiterated what has already been said. He also said that it might be a bad motor, it happens.

Old 09-24-2013, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have to agree with Ray. It sounds to me like your cooling fan for the VFD is drawing in an air/metal dust mixture.

When I got my VFD, it came with a NEMA enclosure and it appears to be sealed tight as a drum. Cooling appears to be by virtue of the "fins" on the case acting like a heat sink. I've had -0- problems. Wayne Goddard is a good resource for these components.

Best of luck in sorting it out.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:07 PM
Steel Addict

Thank you all for the feedback

Tags
advice, art, back, bearing, bee, build, building, chris, grinding, hand, heat, help., hobby, iron, knives, lights, make, making, mountain, problem, software, supply, what kind