MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Display Case

The Display Case A place to post your latest knives and creations. Let the Knife Network community see your work first!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM

My first handmade knife w/ pics

I have always wanted to build my own knife so I did. I finished it last week here are the pics. It is 1095 steel with tulipwood handle and mosaic pins. 7.5 inches long with a 3.75 inch blade.

Here is how I built it: First I did a lot of reading on this forum and also on knifenetwork. So I bought a 2"x36"x 5/32" piece of 1095 steel from admiral steel online for about $35 with shipping. Then I cut a 8 in piece off with a steel cutting blade in my hand circular saw. I then put it in a kiln (my dad has it for doing lost wax jewelry casting) and heated it up to 1450 degrees and let it slowly cool down inside the kiln for about 8 hours. This was to make the steel soft enough to work. Then i finished cutting out the general shape with the circular saw and then using my little table top belt sander I formed the outline of the blade and then ground the edge with the belt sander. after all of this I sanded it down to 220 grit and then it was ready for the heat treatment. I heated it up to 1300 degrees and then pulled it out and let it cool down to room temp. I did this 3 times in a row to normalize the steel and try to make the grain of the steel smaller. I then heated it up to 1475 degrees and let it soak at that temp for 10 minutes. With tongs I pulled it out and as fast as i possibly could i dunked the edge into 135 degree canola oil and then after 8 second I dunked the entire blade and let it cool down in the oil till it was cool enough to handle. I then tempered it in my oven at 425 degrees for an hour. I cleaned up the blade and sanded it down to 600 grit. I then put the brass on it and the tulipwood handle with mosaic pins that I made. Let me know what you think, this is my first knife that I have ever made. It isn't perfect but I think it will do the job on an elk or two.

Trevor
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0911091724-02.jpg (163.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg 0911091724-00.jpg (143.4 KB, 93 views)
File Type: jpg 0911091723-03.jpg (143.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 0911091721-00.jpg (174.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 09-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Thanks for all your guys help.
Old 09-11-2009, 08:15 PM
Master

Excellent work for #1 and pretty darn nice even if it was #100. I don't think I've ever seen file work on a first knife, certainly not my first! It looks like you've got the bug!
-Dave

"The choice isn't between success and failure; it's between choosing risk and striving for greatness, or risking nothing and being certain of mediocrity." - Keith Ferrazi
Old 09-11-2009, 08:58 PM
Steel Addict

Trevor Nice looking knife, Very hard to beleive it's your first. I'm only on my fourth.
the file work and dove tail fit on the bolsters is something you don't see on a first knife.
Your well on your way to becoming a great knifemaker, keep it up
Old 09-11-2009, 11:04 PM
Hall of Famer

You really let it out all the way for a first knife. If you made any mistakes it doesn't show in the pictures. I've hidden my first knife. You show some real tallent.

Doug Lester

Old 09-12-2009, 02:26 AM
Master

Trevor, for your first knife you did a super job. Anyone would be proud to have it for a first knife. You will go far just don't stop. You may run into snaggs as you progress, but just keep working at it. Keep going forward as you progress.
Curtis Wilson

Old 09-13-2009, 07:43 AM

Wow, that is amazing for a first knife. You obviosly did both a lot a work and a lot of homework. I can't wait to see number 2,3 ,4 , 123 .....
Steve

Old 09-29-2009, 04:02 PM
Master

Send a message via ICQ to Txcwboy
Doesnt 1095 come already annealled from Admiral ?

Tags
blade, knife