MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-18-2006, 11:13 AM

Hidden tang and scales

You guys are probably gonna run me out of here but here I go anyways. Since I am very new to this exciting hobby and for some a way of life and income, I do not know how to assemble a set of scales to a hidden tang type of knife. There are some damascus blades that are reasonably inexpensive but have the hidden tangs. I've put scales on several full tang knives but never attempted this. Can anyone give me a hint or two? Thanks in advance... joe
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

There's basically 2 ways to do it. If using antler/stag or a large wood block, you basically drill a hole down the front to fit the hidden tang, then epoxy or epoxy and pin in the tang. The second way is to "mortise" a 2 piece handle, where you basically carve out the space in between 2 slabs where the tang will sit.

Here's a link showing both methods, but there are other tutorials around if you use the search button or look at the tutorials section.

http://www.knives.com/engnath_handles.html
Old 08-18-2006, 11:54 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I always advise all Newbies to get a copy of the catalogs from all of the major knife suppliers like Sheffield's, K&G Finishing, Texas Knifemakers, and Jantz. These catalogs are free and not only do they contain all of the materials and tools you need to make knives but also instructions on how to use the tools. This includes some pretty good picture tutorials on how to assemble stick tangs and other style knives.....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-19-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks a bunch guys. I will check these places out and also try the methods you suggested. Joe

Tags
fixed blade, knife, knives