MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:01 PM

Newbie Here!

Wanting to start making some knives. Any good videos showing tools and instructions. any good first projects?
Thanks!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Steel Addict

Check out the stickys in the newbie section. YouTube helps! Remember to keep it simple. Don't use mystery steel like files, saw blades, the stuff from Lowes. Don't try making any swords. A small hunter with a 3-4" blade is plenty. Use 1/8" 1080/1084. And most of all have fun!
Old 07-14-2013, 06:34 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to the forum! You might want to drop into the Chat Room this afternoon, it's easy, it's free, and it's a fast way to get a lot of your initial questions answered. Just go to http://www.rayrogers.com.chat/chat.htm and sign on with your KNET ID or your real name between 5 pm and 8 pm Pacific today....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-15-2013, 06:12 AM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naboyle View Post
Check out the stickys in the newbie section. YouTube helps! Remember to keep it simple. Don't use mystery steel like files, saw blades, the stuff from Lowes. Don't try making any swords. A small hunter with a 3-4" blade is plenty. Use 1/8" 1080/1084. And most of all have fun!
I will also add that you don't need a lot of equipment. Use whatever works. I am just starting out also and I use mostly just a file and sandpaper. Have fun

Old 07-17-2013, 06:22 AM

Start small and simple. Get the basics down solid, then expand on that. Evaluate the tools and resources you have on hand and work within their capabilities as you learn the basics of knife mechanics, geometry, thermal cycle physics and esthetics. Everything else will fall into place in due time.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 07-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Skilled

There is so much to know and learn, it can be overwhelming. The more you learn, the more questions you will have. Start out slow and simple. Like they say - don't sweat the small stuff (or was it the big stuff?) anyway, have fun, learn from your mistakes and don't expect miracles. Most of all, ask ask ask. Knife makers are some of the most generous and helpful folk I have ever met - no - THE most generous and helpful!
Welcome to the addiction...

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
Registered

Smile Starting to stabilize wood

Making knives is new to me. I have made many pens and want to branch out into stabilizing wood like buckeye, also. I have the vacuum chamber & the pump. Where can I find the Best price for the heat cure type clear resin that I will need?
Thanks
Gerald
Old 07-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corian Pens View Post
Making knives is new to me. I have made many pens and want to branch out into stabilizing wood like buckeye, also. I have the vacuum chamber & the pump. Where can I find the Best price for the heat cure type clear resin that I will need?
Thanks
Gerald
I have used several types of resin and the one that i have been using lately and really like is Cactus Juice sold by TurnTex. I work with a guy that is one of the leading experts on resin formulation in the US and he said that the best he has found for stabilizing is methacrylate ester resin. It is low viscosity and does not change color over time like some resins. USA Knifemaker is selling som enow But I have not tried it. One reccomendation I would make is to buy it uncatalyzed. The resin and the hardener are not mixed together when you get it. The shelf life will be longer. Good luck and let us know if you find another good source.
Old 07-19-2013, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the replies! Just got to find some metal and a template.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:07 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corian Pens View Post
Thanks
Gerald

The Best and what I use is http://www.turntex.com/index.php?opt...art&Itemid=121

Sam

Live and Let Live , Do Not trespass on Life or Me! As we are not so kind or forgiving !
Old 07-23-2013, 10:05 AM
Skilled

Welcome Allen, nice long chat we had Sunday

Austin

Tags
1084, art, blades, easy, files, hand, heat, hunter, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, making, newbie, resin, simple, stabilizing, steel, tools, wood