MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Hi, here is my design.

Hi, knife makers.

Pontus here from Sweden, are 20 years old and has always been a knife lover.
So I want to show off my first knife and the process from start to finish.
First I want to know what you guys think about the knife and what I can improve on the knife. I have spent 1,5 months research and so before this.

The knife going to have a box for storage, and the 3d is render as I type for the box design

I hope to get some responds.

Here is the knife design:
Old 02-11-2013, 12:28 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Good to have you with us Neilsen! That design is pretty much a standard 'sharpfinger'. It's a popular and useful design. Of course, whether a design is good or not is relative to what you intend to do with it. You refer to this knife as a 'hunting' knife and certainly many of that design have been on many hunting trips. They are very useful for general camp chores like cooking, cutting open packages, strips of cloth or sections of twine, that sort of thing but the pointy tip would be a disadvantage if you had to pry with it.

Lots of guys have used them for skinning animals but there are probably just as many people who find that pointy tip to be a problem when skinning. So, there's nothing wrong with your design - it's been very popular for decades over here. You just need to decide what you think the knife will be used for and then you'll know if the design is good for that particular thing ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-12-2013, 07:21 AM

Although I pretty much agree with Ray on the pointy tip issue, it seems to be a very popular design with a lot of people.
Make it finish it and use it. Then you will know what works for you.
Welcome aboard.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-12-2013, 08:09 AM
Skilled

Yep, very popular design, I got asked to make one a couple days ago with a gut hook. I don't know if I will or not.

My honest opinion is it is very popular among people who don't actually use it like "most" people use a hunting knife. Like Ray said, some people prefer the narrow tip for skinning. Certainly among my friends who are guides and avid hunters there is a split. Those who tend to fully cape animals out in the field tend to like a narrow design. But they tend also to carry a different knife for that purpose. Those who do a simple rough cape (which is what most people do) or simply gut, and de-bone or quarter plus use it around camp, tend to go with a more robust blade.

For sure make your knife, it is a proven design, but as you use it, think about what things you might wish were different and then you can start making knife # 2,...3,...4... lol
Old 02-12-2013, 08:23 AM
Skilled

Here is an example of what I came up with for a general purpose hunting knife. Last week I had 2 people ask me take make them a knife. "What kind"? I asked

"oh just something for hunting" was the reply.

Now one of these people is an adult who finally got his hunters safety this year and will be hunting deer for the first time. He really had no Idea what he needed for a "hunting knife" as evidenced by his pointing to a 1/4" thick 13" long Bowie I had made and asking "would that be a good hunting knife?"

I told him "probably not" lol

I roughed this blade out yesterday and took it to them for approval. They both liked it, so I will make a few of these as Hunting knives. Based on my years of hunting/ camping experience it should be up to any general task. If I need to do something outside of the norm, like detail skin or chop firewood, I would get a different tool.

I made one this size and one a little smaller in both blade and handle for an EDC type knife. We will see how they turn out, I may tweak the design once they are finished and people give me input.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:08 AM

Thx for all reply

Thanks for all replys IM going to this design then test it in the field and then re design it. I have already done a second design there I have flatten out the top some more and bring the grind lower.

Yeah and the 3d render is done so here is it hope u like it (had removed some details to short down the render time)

Old 02-13-2013, 10:36 PM
Skilled

The handle looks a bit short to me...

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.

Tags
arrow, art, bee, blade, bowie, design, flat, handle, hunting, hunting knife, image, knife, knives, made, make, making, nielsen, simple, skinning, what kind