MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Enthusiast

Wood & bone Stabilizing

What does everybody use for a wood & bone stabilizer? Ever hear of Paleo Bond, Nelsonite, or Pentacryl? What proses do you use?

Last edited by Rog; 02-13-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-14-2012, 07:14 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I spent about a year trying my own stabilizing.....I've come to the conclusion that unless you're willing to spend BIG BUCKS and get the correct chemicals, (the correct/actual stabilizing chemicals will run you about $1,000 per 5 gallons.) you're time and money ahead to let the professionals do it for you.
All of those products you mentioned have serious issues when it comes to being used as "stabilizing agents".

My mindset is that my reputation is too valuable to not use the very best stabilized materials I can acquire.....and that is NOT what I can do. There are a lot of folks/companies out there doing commercial stabilizing, but I still believe that WSSI is the best in the business.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 02-14-2012, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you Ed!. Got lot's to learn. Is there any thing I can use when a guy brings me a piece of dear antler that he wants a knife out of? I have made a vacuum chamber, that I fill with polyurethane and after drying wood and bone I sink it in the poly and draw it down for 24 yours, then let the air back in for another 24. I then give it 2 weeks in my "rod box" fridge. Seem to help a lot. The wood and bone look like an alka-seltzer tab while the vacuum is on.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I'm with Ed on this. After trying a couple of things for a home brewed stabilization I realized that it's not worth my time and money to stabilize my own stuff. I've tried Minwax Wood Hardener but it was a disaster and left the material with a plastic coating. I've also tried Nelsonite and for the life of me I have not idea what it does. I had scales warp badly and rapidly after I had cut them from a block of wood treated with it.

If you want something stabilized send it out to the people who have the knowledge, equiptment, and materials to do the job right.

Doug

Old 02-15-2012, 10:58 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks Doug, wow, won't try that stuff. My problem is I've had two guys that relay wanted their material used, just don't know what to do except keep using the polyurethane, and the vacuum chamber.I was gona try the Nelsonite too! Thanks for the tip Doug. You saved me some money, and time!
Old 02-15-2012, 11:24 AM
Skilled

You can send your own material to the stabilizers to have it stabilized. They'll usually do any wood, bone or horn that you want.

Another vote here for avoiding the home remedies.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks John, really like your knives.

Last edited by Rog; 02-15-2012 at 11:27 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2012, 12:08 PM
Enthusiast

Howdy Rog, just send your customer supplied materials to WSSI they will take care of em for ya. They don't just do their own materials for sale, they'll do yours too.

"Designed for the saddle from the saddle"

www.horsewrightclothing.com
Old 02-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Skilled

Try this web site. http://www.turntex.com/. I saw a demo on this Cactus Juice stabilizing resin this past weekend at the Ga. guild meeting. This stuff looks really good. Check it out. JC

GEORGIA CUSTOM KNIFEMAKERS GUILD / CHARTER MEMBER
Old 02-16-2012, 12:52 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks much guys. I've been searching around and have found that Chris Crawford does His own stabilizing, and uses a canning jar and a hand pump to pull a vacuum similar to what I do with an AC pump. Man! And I thought I was the originator on that one, nothing new under the sun I guess. He uses Minwax wood hardener for stabilizer too. Guess I have to get a hold Chris, for some more schooling. Thanks again guys!
Old 02-16-2012, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

John, just looked at turntex. Looks good, will be trying this soon. Thank you.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:54 AM
Skilled

Did you ever end up trying the cactus juice? If so what did you think of it.
Old 05-31-2012, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Rog: Take my word for it (Your posts sound like I wrote them a couple of years ago). You are being steered straight. Have WSSI (or others) stabilize your materials. It will save you a lot of time, trouble and mess. Your customers/friends will wait and be glad they did because the end product will be superior to what you or I can produce using makeshift vacuum pots and polymers that weren't designed for this purpose.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bob
Old 07-05-2012, 06:48 PM
Enthusiast

Ive been down the stabilizing road with you all!

I have also been down the stabilizing road with you all to! but never gave up on the stabilizing, after trying many types of resins and i have tried them all like you guys have I finaly found the right stuff that does a great job at a price and quanity we all can aford! it the ZK-TR90 heat cure resin! dont let the big stabilizing companys fool ya the ZK-TR90 resin is the stuff they use just diffrant name! I have extra gallons available if any of you need some
Old 07-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rscoffey View Post
Rog: Take my word for it (Your posts sound like I wrote them a couple of years ago). You are being steered straight. Have WSSI (or others) stabilize your materials. It will save you a lot of time, trouble and mess. Your customers/friends will wait and be glad they did because the end product will be superior to what you or I can produce using makeshift vacuum pots and polymers that weren't designed for this purpose.

Just my $0.02 worth.

Bob
Troy from Zumbros calls does a great job stabilizing for customers and very good to deal with, he also has many types of wood on hand that are complete!

Tags
antler, bee, chris, crawford, for sale, hand, horn, knife, knives, material, materials, plastic, resin, scales, stabilization, stabilizing, wood